Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mover - How To Construct

EricW

Anyone have any designs or specs they can point me to for buiding a mover? I can invent my own I guess, but I'd rather see what some others have done first. I'd consider buying a used one, but buying new is just out of the question.

Thanks!

I'm not too familar with it, but the one at our club has the lower portion protected by a berm that runs from one side of the bay to the other. The target travels forth and back on tracks (garage door rails). It is pulled by a motor (stationed at the side berm) and a length on line (with pulleys so that you can reverse direction of the motor and pull it back).

Eric,

The one's I've seen use cables and pulleys, not tracks.

You might consider a garage door opener motor. You can set the speed and it can reverse direction. The sensors could be used to stop it once it goes behind a wall. You could even run it yourself with the remote.

The trick is to set up the cables so the sudden deceleration doesn't start the target doing the hula.

Maybe a two cable system with each cable run by the same motor with a drive shaft of some sort. Usually, the bottom cable is a guide ..it doesn't move with the target.

At Chapman, they use a four cable system to run four separte targets. The single cable setup requires someone to change targets.

Thanks for the ideas so far.

BTW, I'm interested in just a portable, single target setup. There's no way I could leave something like this at the range. It'd be stolen or destroyed before I got out the gate.

Thanks for the ideas so far.

BTW,  I'm interested in just a portable, single target setup.  There's no way I could leave something like this at the range.  It'd be stolen or destroyed before I got out the gate.

Action target makes a mover system that can be reproduced with very little effort. I made one that was gravity “powered” with an RC release. Take a look at their stuff here:

http://www.actiontarget.com/moving_targets/the_runner.html

I have seen movers at matches that utilized an RC car running in a channel. That sort of set up is the most portable if the channel is made of aluminum. Wood works OK with BIG wheeled RC cars (friction becomes a problem).

Look at this for an idea of what I am talking about:

http://www.canaxa.se/eng/index_e.htm

The folks that do power tool racing use a set up that depicts what I am talking about. The pictures are down near the bottom of this page:

http://www.qbox.org/ptrules.shtml

Have fun!

geezer

Hi Guys

I have plans for a 12volt mover that is cheap and simple to make.

I haven't got it in e-mail form but if anyone wants the details just get in touch with me via the forum and I will post it to you. I tried to contact Warren but didn't get a reply. I can take some pictures this weekend and post them [try anyway] if anyone is interested.Also plans for a turning target system using a CED timer all for free. Lets get more people shooting AP.

Goldfields Shooter

• 1 month later...