Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Red Bull F1 Crew In Monaco

ErikW

Aerodynamics don't matter at Monaco, it's so slow you gotta keep your wheels on the ground by traditional methods. By the looks of that tire bead off the wheel, they had some serious trouble.

BTW, if anybody has video of David Coulthard giving an ESPN guy a ride in a Mercedes sedan around the Nurburgring (or was it Hockenheim?) in the rain, please post it. Funniest thing I've ever seen... the poor ESPN guy was alternately crapping his pants and sucking up the seat cushion.

Aerodynamics don't matter at Monaco, it's so slow you gotta keep your wheels on the ground by traditional methods. By the looks of that tire bead off the wheel, they had some serious trouble.

BTW, if anybody has video of David Coulthard giving an ESPN guy a ride in a Mercedes sedan around the Nurburgring (or was it Hockenheim?) in the rain, please post it. Funniest thing I've ever seen... the poor ESPN guy was alternately crapping his pants and sucking up the seat cushion.

agree about the aero, but even at those speeds, downforce is very important. the vid yer referring to is the old nordschleife circuit, since closed to gp and group c racing. the track is almost 16 miles long and is incredibly dangerous. still used for slower races, it's also a place you can drive if yer ever there. you pay by the lap. amazing circuit.

If areodynamics don't matter the the teams could save a buch of weight and tuning time by taking all the wings and tabs off the car. You need downforce to stop the car a Monaco and through the tunnel. They almost flatfoot up the hill after the start/finish line, where there's lots of fast flicks right and left, I'd want all the help I could get with concrete walls on both sides. Just my .02

They know they are not going to win so they have to get their publicity from some place else. They are the low budged team, $150,000.000.00 as a budget for F1 is nothing. Also, I think what matters most in Monaco is the driver.

Monaco, like Hungary (Monaco w/o the armco), is a "high" downforce track, meaning, the car has the maximum amount of downforce, as apposed to a track like San Marino, which is a "low" downforce track. Top speed doesn't matter at a place like Monaco, but stability under braking, does, which is where the extra downforce comes in handy.

Monaco, like Hungary (Monaco w/o the armco), is a "high" downforce track, meaning, the car has the maximum amount of downforce, as apposed to a track like San Marino, which is a "low" downforce track.  Top speed doesn't matter at a place like Monaco, but stability under braking, does, which is where the extra downforce comes in handy.

didn't realize there are so many knowledgable F1 fans here. cool. my rant is i miss the classic tracks. bernie and his boyz have ruined hockenheim. san marino, and i figure spa will be next. i absolutely abhor those new tracks in bahrain, etc,. nothing interesting at all with them. and don't get me started, le mans is in a month. that place was raped!

You should have seen when Nigel Mansell first came to the US to race CART. He took a bunch of VIP out on the track with a Caddy DeVille. Boy was that amazing. Years later, he did one of the F1 promo races with the dual seater F1 cars. The guy who paid for the ride sure got his money's worth as Nigel launch the car airborne when he ran over the wheels on another car.