Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Xtreme Bullets Inconsistent

nomore606

I've been reloading 9mm for years and mostly used bayou bullets but recently I gave the Xtreme 124gr FMJ's a try. I have to say, I am honestly not impressed and a disappointed in the quality. My COAL varies considerably (1.125-1.105) using the same manufacturer's brass. After measuring that, I measured the bullets and found the same inconsistency with them. Later I loaded the bayous again with the same brass to compare and there was no deviation in the COAL. I guess I'll be sticking to bayou bullets from now on. Has anyone else ran into this issue?

I found them inconsistent to shoot. I'd get flyers and shots that ended up not where they should have been. I chalked it up to me but when I tried to take slow fire groups and everything was good. Sight picture trigger contol breathing control etc I'd still get them. Switched to blue bullets and I got rid of that. 

I experienced the same thing with the Xtreme 124gr FMJs.  Mine varied up to .03" in OAL.  Not only are the lengths of the bullets different, but the shape of the ogive is different from one bullet to the next which is why they seated to different OALs.  I tested them and got bad accuracy so I contacted Xtreme and returned them for a refund.

I stopped shooting Xtreme because of this issue.  Within a specific Lot ( which they label on the box ) the bullets are generally uniform.  But from Lot to Lot the variances are huge.  You work up a nice load and COAL for your bullet and if you should change Lots, you'll have to change COAL.  If you're shooting a gun like the Tanfo (40 cal), where you can't run longer than 1.145 without the magazines turning into a marracas, It is a real PITA.  A COAL variance of .005 could cause you huge issues ( not safety, just Tank your stage serious ). I found this on 9mm and 40.

I switched to BBI and have never looked back.  Uniform bullets from lot to lot, always.

I generally shot a lot of freedom munitions, which uses xtremes . And accuracy Wise seem fine. COAL never measured.

I bought a whole bunch of 147 and 165 from Xtreme, to be ready to start reloading. I hope I don't have the same issues.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, 223to45 said:

I bought a whole bunch of 147 and 165 from Xtreme, to be ready to start reloading. I hope I don't have the same issues.

I've shot a lot of their plated bullets and never had this issue with them.  This was just with their FMJs for me.

My post was about the Heavy plated bullets.  Don't get me wrong, once loaded, the bullets shot very well.  I just didn't like the fact that from one Lot to the next there was so much variance in the bullet OAL.