Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Preferred method for locking down Xtreme over travel trigger screw?

IronArcher

Red loctite.  Just make sure when you find the perfect position for the screw you back off just a smidge more.  It wont make a difference in the long run on the feel of the trigger, but if the gun heats up just enough to make that perfect position to cause a nonreset....you'll be pissed.  Ask me how i know! :ph34r:

Locktite blue for temporary movable. Red (271) will lock it until you heat it real hot.

Personally, i remove the OT screws. Running to close to the edge is a recipe for disappointment/  disaster. Too many timing issues can occur if the trigger stroke is limited . Plus, that  1/16th inch doesn't make a real difference. 

Run 5 bill drills with the screw set perfect and  removed, no real gains IMHO.

You guys that use red Loctite have my admiration.  If done correctly, that stuff all but welds the threads and requires a lot of heat to loosen up.  I don't have the confidence to use it in something I may want to change later.

In my case, I use green Loctite.  Green is intended to be used on assembled parts and will wick into the threads and hold everything in place.  Once you have the screw where you want it, dribble some green on it and let it set up.  Like blue Loctite, it can be loosened with some effort but won't loosen under use. 

I lost the package and I can't find any number on it.  The tube is just labeled as green penetrating locker.  Key word is penetrating.  Its' primary use is to hold bushings, etc, in their bore but any time you need to lock something in place after assembly, this is good to use.

I even used it to hold some 1/2" OD bushings in place on a commercial sewing machine.  These bushings were used to guide the needle carrier up and down so they had a tendency to walk out of the head.  I installed the bushings in their bore (smooth bore - no threads or other locking device) using finger pressure alone.  I used the green to wick in and lock them in place.   It did a great job holding the bushings from moving and when they wore out, I needed a good tap with a deadblow to break them loose.  I'm a fan.

Red loctite here.

I'd rather have to remove the trigger and heat it to get my set screw out than have to deal with it working loose in the middle of a major match.

I did just finally reinstall it today, however. Once the gun crested the 1,000 round mark with the new parts and I knew I was done tweaking. Before that it was left out so I'd have one less variable to trip me up.

I crank it in until a slow DA pull won't quite drop but a fast one will, then back it out one entire revolution. 

Edited by MemphisMechanic