Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recently four people I know bought new sti guns. Two open 38 supers and two limited 40's. All four had trouble with magazine followers that rolled over and bent mag springs. Plus mushy triggers, and extractor tension, along with recoil master problems.

I thought from the popularity and price that these guns were supposed to be rock and roll ready from the factory.

Have they gotten like the old colts, buy new and send it to smith to make it work???

Anybody else noticed this?

From what I have seen of them, I would call it exactly like Colt. They still demand a premium price, but they dont deliver the performance. My local shop has Trubor's on the shelf for like $2350 and the Grandmaster is around $3100. However, you can get a Bedell for $2500 with way more features than either and it will be ready to rock and roll from the time you get it. From what I have seen the only way to get a decent factory STI is to order it from Dawson or Brazos or some place like that, that goes through them before they get shipped to you. I dont see how they still sell guns when you can get any comparable model custom built by a private smith for less money that runs better.

Ordered the STI tactical for a duty/carry gun in .40 SW. Came in and my gunsmith told me it probably wouldn't feed factory ammo. Took it to the range and it runs like a raped ape with anything you feed it. Accurate, 100% reliable and great for dumbassed questions on why. Trigger was 3.5 lbs as requested.

I got an EDGE .40 from Brazos and it runs like a champ.

Edited to say - I'm using STI tubes and Grams follower/spring/basepad kits.

I expected to spend the summer getting the bugs worked out of it, but it's great. Brazos service was excellent too.

All four had trouble with magazine followers that rolled over and bent mag springs.

All four were using the factory magazines that came with their guns, right? :rolleyes:

Mushy triggers? Can you buy any pistol in the U.S. without a shitty trigger? (Oh yeah, Browning Buckmark...) OK, can you buy any centerfire pistol with a decent trigger? :)

STI is very inconsistent with their products. But their customer service is great. But it is a pain in the ass to keep sending them your gun.

My 1911 went back several times.

A guy at our club purchased one recently and it runs like a champ.

not my purchase, but a fellow club member had a mess of problems with his STI magazines. The magazines won't run, so who knows how well the gun will run. Trigger wasn't the end-all be-all, but it was pretty nice.

I bought my Edge from Dawson when they had a special running. The gun is a champ and has not hiccuped yet since i got it, November of 04'. Probably at least 5000 rounds through it so far. I use grams followers and springs with Dawson +1 basepads.

A friend had to send his brand new Edge back before it would work right.

There has got to be some problem with them. Every match you go to, the vendor area is comprised strictly of tables full of replacement parts for them (joke, STI fan please don't unleash on me). B)