Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Changing 650 from 9 to another caliber...

My 650 is set up for 9, a friend wants me to load some 40 for him. I know I am able to buy a complete set up to change out the entire tool head including the powder hopper etc. My understanding is I will need to also change out the shell plate and a couple of other things (I think the same primer plate is used for both 9 & 40)  however if I change out the shell plate won't that require me to have to re-adjust the dies..?

Edited by IGOTGLOCKED

If you plan to use the same tool head you'll be replacing the 9mm dies with the .40 dies and they will have to be adjusted. And to switch back to 9mm you'll be removing the .40 dies and installing and adjusting the 9mm dies again.

If you buy a secone tool head and powder measure you simply remove the two pins from your 9mm tool head, slide it out, and install the new tool head and .40 dies. When you switch back to 9mm, just pull the pins, slide out the .40 tool head assy., and slide in the 9mm tool head assembly. Once you have the dies set up in their respective tool heads you don't need to readjust them. Just swap out the entire tool head assy and go.

In order to do this, you'll need a second tool head, .40 dies, a second powder die and powder measure, and a .40 cal conversion kit.

9 minutes ago, TDA said:

If you plan to use the same tool head you'll be replacing the 9mm dies with the .40 dies and they will have to be adjusted. And to switch back to 9mm you'll be removing the .40 dies and installing and adjusting the 9mm dies again.

If you buy a secone tool head and powder measure you simply remove the two pins from your 9mm tool head, slide it out, and install the new tool head and .40 dies. When you switch back to 9mm, just pull the pins, slide out the .40 tool head assy., and slide in the 9mm tool head assembly. Once you have the dies set up in their respective tool heads you don't need to readjust them. Just swap out the entire tool head assy and go.

In order to do this, you'll need a second tool head, .40 dies, a second powder die and powder measure, and a .40 cal conversion kit.

Ok, so changing the shell plates out each time I switch to another caliber - given I have a complete tool head with dies and powder hopper etc does not require readjusting the dies. Now this will really show my lack of knowledge but changing calibers is completely new to me so here goes:

The dies are adjusted on each tool head for their respective caliber and bullets have been made, chronoed, etc. Now switching back and forth between calibers and of course having to change shell plates how is it possible to get the shell plates tightened the same each time they are changed out and not have to re-adjust the dies then switch back to 9 and it is still as it was, etc..? 

53 minutes ago, IGOTGLOCKED said:

Ok, so changing the shell plates out each time I switch to another caliber - given I have a complete tool head with dies and powder hopper etc does not require readjusting the dies. Now this will really show my lack of knowledge but changing calibers is completely new to me so here goes:

The dies are adjusted on each tool head for their respective caliber and bullets have been made, chronoed, etc. Now switching back and forth between calibers and of course having to change shell plates how is it possible to get the shell plates tightened the same each time they are changed out and not have to re-adjust the dies then switch back to 9 and it is still as it was, etc..? 

I have been bouncing between 9, 40 and 45 for years. When I change the shellplate, I torque down the bolt until the plate drags and then back off a hair. Any OAL variance that may cause has been masked by variance in the bullet seater/bullet shape and other factors. 0.005" variation is typical, sometimes a bit more and sometimes a bit less depending on bullet shape. I have really seen no initial variance that was significantly different than within a run of hundreds of rounds with no plate change. Swap the toohead and plate, check a couple rounds to be sure and carry on.

8 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

I have been bouncing between 9, 40 and 45 for years. When I change the shellplate, I torque down the bolt until the plate drags and then back off a hair. Any OAL variance that may cause has been masked by variance in the bullet seater/bullet shape and other factors. 0.005" variation is typical, sometimes a bit more and sometimes a bit less depending on bullet shape. I have really seen no initial variance that was significantly different than within a run of hundreds of rounds with no plate change. Swap the toohead and plate, check a couple rounds to be sure and carry on.

That is awesome and exactly what I was hoping for, thank you ChuckS!

I just went from 45ACp to 9mm and aside from changing from large primer to small primer it was cake.

As mentioned if you get a new tool head and powder measure you will never need to readjust your dies. Slide the entire tool head in and out when you do the conversion.

the caliber conversions are about $80 plus shipping. You'll change the shell plate, locator pins, the two colored plastic things at the case feed, and a threaded spacer under where the color casefeed things are. You'll also get a powder funnel to install in your new toolhead with powder measure.

The complete setup with tool head plus powder measure and caliber conversion is roughly $200 lus whatever dies you select. Seems like a bunch until you change for the first time and don't have to touch any of your dies or powder settings. Then you will be glad you spent that extra hundo.

If you go on youtube and search 650 caliber conversion you'll find a series of videos by a guy changing from 45 to 9mm. He really explains everything in detail, including the primer assembly which you won't need to touch. Good luck.

3 hours ago, IGOTGLOCKED said:

That is why you got the dillon.

4 hours ago, IGOTGLOCKED said:

My 650 is set up for 9, a friend wants me to load some 40 for him.

Change over is simple with a second full die plate.  Only a few additional steps...... 15 minutes, double checking everything (as a new reloader)

The quoted part above set off a Warning Alarm in my way of thinking.  Do you really want to load for someone else and assume the responsibility if ANYTHING goes wrong?  Friends are friends...until they are no longer friends.  My short bit of advice is to have your friend buy his own components (maybe even his own full toolhead..saving you the cost) and rent him machine time after he proves he can competently not damage your machine.  Rent = a bottle of wine for you to enjoy later (not while loading obv)

3 hours ago, amada8 said:

Change over is simple with a second full die plate.  Only a few additional steps...... 15 minutes, double checking everything (as a new reloader)

The quoted part above set off a Warning Alarm in my way of thinking.  Do you really want to load for someone else and assume the responsibility if ANYTHING goes wrong?  Friends are friends...until they are no longer friends.  My short bit of advice is to have your friend buy his own components (maybe even his own full toolhead..saving you the cost) and rent him machine time after he proves he can competently not damage your machine.  Rent = a bottle of wine for you to enjoy later (not while loading obv)

I agree. Liability is an issue when reloading for other people. I am very precise when reloading my target and match ammo. That being said if something was to happen to a friend with your ammo how good is that friend and his family gonna be. Teach your friend how to reload and let him use or press or get him to buy a press. 

17 hours ago, mikeinctown said:

I just went from 45ACp to 9mm and aside from changing from large primer to small primer it was cake.

As mentioned if you get a new tool head and powder measure you will never need to readjust your dies. Slide the entire tool head in and out when you do the conversion.

the caliber conversions are about $80 plus shipping. You'll change the shell plate, locator pins, the two colored plastic things at the case feed, and a threaded spacer under where the color casefeed things are. You'll also get a powder funnel to install in your new toolhead with powder measure.

The complete setup with tool head plus powder measure and caliber conversion is roughly $200 lus whatever dies you select. Seems like a bunch until you change for the first time and don't have to touch any of your dies or powder settings. Then you will be glad you spent that extra hundo.

If you go on youtube and search 650 caliber conversion you'll find a series of videos by a guy changing from 45 to 9mm. He really explains everything in detail, including the primer assembly which you won't need to touch. Good luck.

Thank you mikeinctown! I did find some last night.

16 hours ago, amada8 said:

13 hours ago, Dirtchevy841 said:

I agree. Liability is an issue when reloading for other people. I am very precise when reloading my target and match ammo. That being said if something was to happen to a friend with your ammo how good is that friend and his family gonna be. Teach your friend how to reload and let him use or press or get him to buy a press. 

Quite honestly this aspect has been haunting me... I thought I'd go ahead and research the possibilities of doing this however I really appreciate this perspective and advice! 

IGG

2 hours ago, IGOTGLOCKED said:

I thought I'd go ahead and research the possibilities of doing this

Spend 15 minutes (and probably $150) with an attorney will clear up the issue MUCH better than "researching" on the web.  I am sure you know this but not everything you read on the internet is true.  *GASP*