Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any possible way to simplify 8.3.7??

Patrick Scott

So a buddy and I were talking last night and the subject of 8.3.7 came up:

8.3.7 “If Clear, Hammer Down, Holster” or “If Clear, Cylinder Closed, Holster” for revolvers only – After issuance of this command, the competitor is prohibited from firing (see Rule 10.4.3). While continuing to point the handgun safely downrange, the competitor must perform a final safety check of the handgun as follows: 8.3.7.1 Self-loaders – release the slide and pull the trigger (without touching the hammer or decocker, if any). 8.3.7.2 Revolvers – close the empty cylinder (without touching the hammer, if any). 8.3.7.3 If the gun proves to be clear, the competitor must holster his handgun. 8.3.7.4 If the gun does not prove to be clear, the Range Officer will resume the commands from Rule 8.3.6 (also see Rule 10.4.3).

8.3.7.1, PCC: “Bolt closed, hammer down, flag”.

We now have 3 different commands, one of mag fed autoloaders, one for revolvers, and one for PCC.  Both of us think one single command would simplify things. I see so many ROs fumble with the commands for Revo and PCC due to fact we just don't see them much, I know have been guilty of it a few times. We spent a few minutes trying to come up with a single command that would cover all three guns with limited success.  While not perfect, one that we both lean to was to use "If clear, hammer down, holster"  for everything and change some definitions about what "Clear" is for all 3 guns and defining a flagged and vertical PCC as holstered.  

Ideas? Thoughts? Or is this thought just a waste of time?

With auto loaders a If clear, hammer down works well since you can't drop ,the hammer without the slide being forward.

With revolvers you have to open the cylinder for inspection, so cylinder closed is proper.

With PCC it could be if clear, hammer down, flag.

This adds only one word to the normal commands.

IPSC uses "If clear hammer down, holster, for all.

8.3.7 "If Clear, Hammer Down, Holster" – After issuance of this command, the competitor must not resume shooting (see Rule 10.6.1).  While continuing to point the handgun safely downrange, the competitor must perform a final safety check of the handgun as follows: 

The actions are obviously different but same command is used for all.

21 minutes ago, terrydoc said:

Section 8.3.7 from the current IPSC Rifle/Shotgun Rules (Page 24/25)  "If Clear, Hammer Down, Open Action"

ETA: But they use the same command for pistol/revolver (ICHDH)

Edited by ChuckS

14 hours ago, terrydoc said:

6 hours ago, terrydoc said:

I'm not sure anyone mention rifle or shotgun rules Chuck.

Since the OP included PCC (a rifle) and you stated that IPSC uses the same command for "all", I went looking into the IPSC long gun rules since they do not have PCC. They are examples of long gun commands currently in use.

Edited by ChuckS