Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock vs Colt pettern

So 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other.........my first build will be with Colt mags and a Hahn block in a GWACS (cav-MkII) polymer lower.

Metalform mags seem to be the way to go with these, they have them in 10, 20 and 32 rounds. I have files for +8 printed extensions and in the near future, getting 50 rounds will not be an issue.

my 2nd build will be with glock mags....down the road some.

My biggest question is do I really want a bolt hold open feature (which leans towards NO).

Tim

2 hours ago, TRUBL said:

So 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other.........my first build will be with Colt mags and a Hahn block in a GWACS (cav-MkII) polymer lower.

Metalform mags seem to be the way to go with these, they have them in 10, 20 and 32 rounds. I have files for +8 printed extensions and in the near future, getting 50 rounds will not be an issue.

my 2nd build will be with glock mags....down the road some.

My biggest question is do I really want a bolt hold open feature (which leans towards NO).

Tim

Tim: I have a Hahn insert on my Firebird lower and I am using Metalform Colt smg 9mm mags. I am using an old Glock aluminum base pad on a 32round mag that gives me 36 rounds reloadable so I can start with 37. One of your hand guards as well. It is working great with no problems at all. Thanks, Eric

IMG_0629.JPG

Man, with all the extensions coming out for the colt patterned mag it's making it harder to decide which lower to go with. I shot my buddies jp's and shoot a glock so it makes sense from logistics, but I do prefer how the colt mags insert. Also, a metal magazine seems like it would last longer with the mag catch. So the decision still hasn't been made! LOL

1 hour ago, jswhitesell619 said:

Man, with all the extensions coming out for the colt patterned mag it's making it harder to decide which lower to go with. I shot my buddies jp's and shoot a glock so it makes sense from logistics, but I do prefer how the colt mags insert. Also, a metal magazine seems like it would last longer with the mag catch. So the decision still hasn't been made! LOL

Hello: I am at the same point. I have my Mech Tech Glock 9mm and my conversion setup for Colt Mags. If this keeps going and someone steps up and makes aluminum  base pads for the Metalfrom Colt mags I may just stick with the conversion setup. I am also thinking of converting a AR15 magwell to help reloads on the Colt conversion. A nice mag funnel would be great. The Metalform Colt mags are pretty cheap now so a nice base pad would even the field with the Glock lowers I think. Thanks, Eric

12 minutes ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: I am at the same point. I have my Mech Tech Glock 9mm and my conversion setup for Colt Mags. If this keeps going and someone steps up and makes aluminum  base pads for the Metalfrom Colt mags I may just stick with the conversion setup. I am also thinking of converting a AR15 magwell to help reloads on the Colt conversion. A nice mag funnel would be great. The Metalform Colt mags are pretty cheap now so a nice base pad would even the field with the Glock lowers I think. Thanks, Eric

My dad has a CMMG 9mm carbine and it is a full size ar lower, the thoughts of getting a grinder to it and making it more of a magwell is certainly a very very tempting thought! Taccom has their printable version of the basepads for the colt mags but I'm not sold on having a printed basepad opposed to having a proper aluminum basepad. 

Hello: I am tempted to make a grooving cutter for the base pad slot and mill one up for the Metalform mags. It would only have to be 1 3/4"x 1 1/8"x about 1 7/8" deep. That way it would hold about 40 rounds reloadable. Maybe I'll try the Glock TTI +5/6 when they get here on the Metalform mags and see how that works. I figure I will only need 38-41 round at most for a 32 round stage with steel. Thanks, Eric

1 hour ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: I am tempted to make a grooving cutter for the base pad slot and mill one up for the Metalform mags. It would only have to be 1 3/4"x 1 1/8"x about 1 7/8" deep. That way it would hold about 40 rounds reloadable. Maybe I'll try the Glock TTI +5/6 when they get here on the Metalform mags and see how that works. I figure I will only need 38-41 round at most for a 32 round stage with steel. Thanks, Eric

Eric,

I was able to use the TTI+5/6 on my Uzi mags but it only gave me +4. I don't know what the Metalform follower looks like but the +5/6 is angled to follow the glock mag and fit the gauge. In the Uzi mag the follower hits the shallow portion at the back of the extension first limiting capacity to 36.

The +3/4 pad gives +4 because the floor is parallel to the lips on bottom of magazine as those are designed to fit the box rather than the gauge.