Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Weird issue when dry firing w/mag in gun.

B_RAD

Last night I was doing some dry firing and I had the mag in the gun so I could work on dropping it when reloading.  I started having a new, weird issue. The trigger/sear/hammer would stop engaging on the DA pull. It felt like the hammer hooks and sear weren't engaging enough. When I'd take the mag out it'd work everytime. Put it back in and it work on the first pull or two then it do it again. The trigger was going forward enough to reset. I though the trigger return spring had broken  it it looked fine when I took the slide off.  

I've never noticed this before. Anyone else seen this?

My guess would be the mag is pushing up on the slide and that's taking weight off the trigger bar, which is being pushed up by the lifter spring and is being lifted too high. That's causing the trigger bar to not engage the hammer properly. 

I tried it with an empty mag and a loaded mag (dummy rounds). Same thing. 

I guess as as long as it still functions properly when firing there's not issue. Just can't dry fire and have a reliable DA pull with a mag inserted. 

Though, it's weird that it just started. 

11 minutes ago, repins1911 said:

Have you tried different magazines? Not trying to be that guy, just asking.
Is there any evidence of pressure on the trigger bar from the mag?

I'll try that. Thanks. 

5 minutes ago, TennJeep1618 said:

I had the same issue at one point:

In my case, the magazine was contacting the trigger bar spring.  Make sure the screw is tight and that the spring is bent in such a way that the magazine doesn't contact it.

Thanks!  

I'll check that!

If it wasn't for how accurate these are, I'd switch back to plastic!  I feel like these are worse than 1911's when it comes to getting them working and keeping them running!

I did a little shooting this last weeked. 

Here's 40 yds off hand 

10 shot group

3.5" 

IMG_3184.PNG

Edited by B_RAD

If it wasn't for how accurate these are, I'd switch back to plastic!  I feel like these are worse than 1911's when it comes to getting them working and keeping them running!

I did a little shooting this last weeked. 

Here's 40 yds off hand 

10 shot group

3.5" 

IMG_3184.PNG

Lol, I don't know if they are that finicky!

43 minutes ago, repins1911 said:

Lol, I don't know if they are that finicky!

Ok, I paid $1500 for a SP-01 Shaodow Orange.  Here's a list of what I've done so far, still want to do and spare parts.

Parts replaced (no big deal. A lot of guns need tweaks initially and these weren't expensive)

Hammer spring

Trigger return spring

Safety detent spring

Trigger pin

Firing pin and spring

Disconnector

Parts know to be replaced often (A lot of guns need spare parts but from what I've heard these break often)

Trigger return spring

Slide stop

Work I've done to mine

Polish internals

Bend magazine release spring

Work I want to do

Ream chamber

File slide stop for longer OAL (if needed)

Mags are $60 bucks ea!

Then I'm seeing guys having a practice gun and a match gun?!  Though, I guess you'd probably want a spare for any gun if you're gonna seriously run it in competition.

And today I'm discovering another issue with the screw for the trigger lifter spring!  

I'd say they're at least as bad!

Saying all that, I'll admit, they're easy to work on. Not as easy as a Glock but easy. 

Edited by B_RAD

Damn!

For reference from Tanfo-land:

stock II or III: $900

DP sight: $40

Springs, disconnector, hammer, etc etc: $380

Grips: $50ish

... at least I found factory mags from CDNN for $15 each.

I shot an M&P for seven years. Aside from a $200 Apex fitted-barrel I only fed it (3) recoil springs and ammo for 35-40,000 rounds.

17 hours ago, thompsoncustom said:

Some of the mec gar AFC mags can causing the trigger bar to drag on the side of the mag and cause issues like that.

That's what I was using when it happened. 

Im switching to the nickel plated ones with 10% springs and SP base plates. 

Edited by B_RAD

Ya i dont use any of the AFC mags for that reason tho im sure you could polish the inside of the trigger bar and/or the mag where it touchs.

Hopefully the screw takes care of your issue tho and you dont have to worry about it.

Edited by thompsoncustom