Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Division Choice

Booboobear

I shot my first USPSA match Nov. 4 

The match director put me in Production 

I now have the fever and have joined USPSA. Awaiting package. 

I went this weekend and purchased a slightly used Glock 34 double stack with a an optical site. It's a small cue tip stick size circular rear site with a green front site. Not electric. 

I have read the USPSA rule book until I'm cross eyed. 

Can anyone guide me to which division I should start with and is my site legal?

It sounds like you might have a ghost ring rear sight with a fiber optic front. The front is production legal, but the ring rear knocks you out of Production and into Limited.  You can run Limited with the gun they way it is, but you would be shooting what's called minor power factor in Limited as the 34 is 9mm. What that means is your scoring will be different than most others in limited who run Major.  So what happens is if you and I are both limited shooters and I am shooting 40 (major) and you 9 (minor) our A zone hits are worth 5 points but for me B/C zone is worth 4 and D is worth 2. For you B/C are worth 3 and D is worth 1. So you start out with a disadvantage. I would change the rear sight to a normal rear and run production, where everyone is scored minor. 

IMG_0013.JPG

Edited by Mikeski

Yeah, I don't see the pic from you, but if it is a ghost ring like Mikeski posted, than you will be limited for sure.  Didn't know people were still doing the ghost ring thing on pistols.  I would change it out for a dawson rear.  Conversely, the extra ammo capacity of limited is fun.  I often shoot limited minor

Not like that my rear ring is much smaller and has 3 square black metal runners bout 1 1/2 inch long then last half inch it like clear plastic w green lines inside the plastic. Now that I look closer my front site is white. So those green lines inside plastic must be what makes it appear green. 

Those are interesting sights, but I can't say I'm a fan because you can't see where the dot is unless it's where it's supposed to be.  I definitely agree that a serrated black rear and a fiber optic front sight is the best way to go.  As you shoot more, you may find that you like to shoot with a thicker or thinner fiber optic rod, but a .100 is a good start.  Dawson sights are very good.  Adjustable is probably not needed.

Read A LOT about proper grip and all of the wonderful dryfire drills posted here.  They will make all of the difference.  Gear will get you to a decent starting place, but this game is all about practice. Reloads, transitions, proper grip, training your eyes/brain is where you will find the difference between top shooters and cellar dwellers.  Everyone can get their hits while standing still and taking their time. 

Glad you're in on the game!  Have a lot of fun and don't take yourself too seriously if possible.  Heck, if you avoid getting DQ'ed in your first year, you'll have done better than MANY noobs.

Thanks Pistolpete9. I'm so appreciative of the info I've gotten here. I've been wearing out the RO at our local club. He gave me this site and I know he's glad. 

He travels every weekend shooting major but has agreed to work w me on 1 or 2 Sundays a week. Like you say, I'm very good standing still but assessing the set and speed are new. Greatfull to say out 4 noobs in my match I was only one to not get DQd so I'll shoot for that year goal. 

Sincerely,

Ric

Thank you! I understand I need to change sites now thanks to you guys. 

I am taking this seriously as I am very competitive. So this is not casual shooting for me. I know this will take time. I just want to make sure I'm on the right track. The division question is still perplexing to me. I've read the rules over and over and still have gotten diff. Feedback on limited or production?

Production division is the way to go with your equipment...you can be extremely competitive with your G34.  The most popular 34 mods for production are sights, trigger polishing, trigger connector, steel guide rod w/ 13 lb. recoil spring, grip tape, and softer shooting ammo.  Search the forums for some ideas.