Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Non-Dominant Eye Better?

Zulu

I am right handed and right eye dominant.  I shoot both eyes open--emphasizing my right eye to focus on sight picture.  But I always seem to miss target to the left. I experimented today and emphasized my left eye on the sight-- I was now on target.  Plus I seem to pick up the sight picture faster and it is more clear. Does anyone else do this or ever hear of this?

Thanks Mechanic.  But I don't mind using my left eye.  It's working.  By emphasizing my left (non-dominant) eye, I now have center shots.  Just wondering if doing this is totally unorthodox, and would hurt my shooting in the long term.

I too am right eye dominant, right handed, and I shoot pistols with my left eye.  I shoot shotguns and rifles right eyed.  I struggled for a few years trying to shoot iron sights with my right eye with no good results.  I tripped over the left eye solution for me and now it's natural.  Good luck.

Not to be mean, but it sounds like either 

a.  You're actually left eye dominant

b.  There is some other deficiency in your shooting technique or equipment, and switching eyes somehow offsets/"corrects" the deficiency.

If it's "a", keep doing what you're doing and shoot with left eye focus.  If it's "b"...find the true root cause of your point of impact not equaling point of aim and correct it.  

If you're right eye dominant, I don't think you can consciously use your left eye when both are open.  You might think you are.  The only way to tell would be to close your right eye when shooting and see if your results are the same. When your shooting with both eyes open, your eyes will naturally adjust and focus and this should not be something you have to physically concentrate on. I agree with uewpew that you are probably left eye dominant.

Yeah.  I think you're correct.  It doesn't work anymore?  LOL.  I think it was correcting a deficiency.  I wasn't gripping the gun in line with my forearm, and I think the left eye thing somehow compensated for this.