Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Taurus M82 and springs

JD45

I just bought a like new Model 82, which is close on the outside to a heavy barrel S&W M10.

I want to play IDPA with it occasionally. How light can I go with the coil mainspring and get 100% ignition with all ammo?

I don't need it real light, but dang the DA pull is HEAVY now.

Second question is my rig. I want a leather carry holster, outside the belt. And speedloaders and pouches I'll use whatever is fastest for IDPA.

I would like to hear some suggestions.

Way back when (about 1985??) the news was that S&W transferred ALL their manufacturing equipment and tooling to Taurus.
If that story is true Taurus would be making exact copies of S&W guns.  So could anyone corroborate this story?
There might have been some limitations in that deal.  And the exact transfer could have been with older (1950??) tooling.

Therefore I believe ALL S&W parts should completely be interchangeable with Taurus.

Now it is 30 odd years later.  I bet S&W has made changes and improvements in manufacturing.
So today's guns from each could be moving in different direction.

Based on the above I think the Taurus should respond identically of a Smith to trigger work.
Anyone, Anyone, Bueller?

Have you tried the Taurus forums? I've never worked on one myself so I can't help on the action work.  

Simply Rugged makes nice carry holsters and I use one of their pancake models for IDPA.  For speedloaders you'll want Comp IIIs assuming your cylinder spacing is the same as a S&W.  

For holders look at North Mountain.

• 2 weeks later...

This is not my year for revolvers.

My favorite carry gun breaks a 50 cent hammer pin and turns it into junk. Then, I find this Taurus, looks unfired. I dryfire it for 3 days and its fine. Now it locks up double action constantly. The great deal I got is trashed if I have to pay $50 to ship it to Taurus.

Why can't they time a gun? I had a Model 66 ages ago and sent it back twice to fix the same problem! I shot it til I wore it out after that.

I love revolvers for defense. But this makes me want to buy all Glocks and save the headaches.