Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Silicon carbide on factory grips

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks good! You even have the mag catch on the correct side. ;) 

Let us know how you like the feel after shooting an actual match with it. Aside from making mine too fat to access the mag catch, I loved the pair I did.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

On 8/1/2017 at 4:26 AM, MemphisMechanic said:

Looks good! You even have the mag catch on the correct side. ;) 

Let us know how you like the feel after shooting an actual match with it. Aside from making mine too fat to access the mag catch, I loved the pair I did.

After a practice session, I cracked one of the grips. I think removed too much material on the part where the screw sits and made it prone to pressure when i was tightening the screw. Another factor would also be the low quality plastic. Lesson learned lol. Probably gonna re-do it on some metal grips.

• 4 weeks later...
9 hours ago, insicnarf said:

Was in a dilemma whether to modify my Scales 1.0 with Silicon carbide or do serrations. Ended up doing the latter. Not as flawless as Id hoped for but pretty satisfied, yet to be tested though.

Looks good. You're stealing all of my good ideas. :D 

After a practice session, I cracked one of the grips. I think removed too much material on the part where the screw sits and made it prone to pressure when i was tightening the screw. Another factor would also be the low quality plastic. Lesson learned lol. Probably gonna re-do it on some metal grips.
Apart from the crack, has the grips held up? Epoxy and cerakote holding up?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Just now, Shrek1 said:

Apart from the crack, has the grips held up? Epoxy and cerakote holding up?

Yep should be good as long as you dont remove too much material on the area where the screw goes. Actually i replicated this with my extreme grips which were metal, works fine but it was too "thin" for me

Yep should be good as long as you dont remove too much material on the area where the screw goes. Actually i replicated this with my extreme grips which were metal, works fine but it was too "thin" for me
Ok thanks. I have large hands and need to add some surface area to the grips. Hoping this works

EGD > Lava grips > Henning > SSI Scales > Factory wood > Patriot palmswell 

...In order from thick to thin. 

I've now heard of two cases of the PD plastic 3D printed grips cracking though, so if you want really thick ones, wait until they make theirs in metal. It's coming.

26 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

EGD > Lava grips > Henning > SSI Scales > Factory wood > Patriot palmswell 

...In order from thick to thin. 

I've now heard of two cases of the PD plastic 3D printed grips cracking though, so if you want really thick ones, wait until they make theirs in metal. It's coming.

I thought people preferred the polymer PD palmswell cause it gives you the option to stipple if you want a more aggressive texture, didnt expect them to crack (although PD did give a disclaimer). Stippling the polymer palmswells is a good alternative to silicon carbide.

Edited by insicnarf