Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sphinx SDP Compact for CCP?

mwenger

I recently purchased the SDP compact alpha and have been considering it for IDPA.  I know it easily makes weight and the length/height.  The width seems like it will be pretty close.  The published width is 1.37" and the IDPA box is 1.375".  Has anybody tried this gun out yet to see if it's legal?

12 hours ago, racknrider said:

After market safeties OK. Filing down your safety, not so much. 

Why do you recommend purchasing a safety but not filing one down?

Unless I missed something, it's perfectly legal for him to file them down for CCP. 

Under 8.2.2.2 , which is the INCLUSIVE list of permitted modifications, aftermarket safeties are allowed 8.2.2.2.29. Nowhere in the rule book does it state that it is permissible to alter the factory safety. Just because people do it, and it may be within the spirit of the rules, that does not make it legal per the current rule book. If I missed something, please point it out as I am always eager to learn. It is possible there is something in the over 100 clarifications that I have missed. 

1 hour ago, racknrider said:

Under 8.2.2.2 , which is the INCLUSIVE list of permitted modifications, aftermarket safeties are allowed 8.2.2.2.29. Nowhere in the rule book does it state that it is permissible to alter the factory safety. Just because people do it, and it may be within the spirit of the rules, that does not make it legal per the current rule book. If I missed something, please point it out as I am always eager to learn. It is possible there is something in the over 100 clarifications that I have missed. 

You do have a point, the rules don't specifically state it, but you are "within the spirit of the rules".    Its the same as trimming and blending a safety, slide stop, trigger guard, magwell, and beavertail for ESP/CDP/CCP.   If we were following SSP rules, different story.    Yeah, I need to read through the clarifications.  (went through the latest clarification compilations for the 2015 rule book, nothing on topic)

You're fine to file down the safety to fit.  

Edited by dee loo

Hopefully that is something that is removed from the new rule book. With all the different safeties available for 1911s, how is anyone suppose to enforce that?

I get that the OP isn't modifying a 1911. I've spoken to my AC about having to shave down my ambi safeties to make width for my CCP. He didn't mention anything about it not being permitted. I also have attended 2 sanctioned matches with said gun. Nationals and another tier 4. I definitely would not knowing enter an illegal gun to compete with, so I will again clarify with my AC. If I need to run a single side safety, so be it. Because I don't think there's an ambi safety made that qualifies for CCP. 

Modifications to magwell, slide stop, and trigger guard are expressly mentioned as allowed modifications, safeties and beaver tails are not. 

To me, cutting barrel length to 4.1" to be CCP legal makes sense, but IDPA has ruled this is not so. If it ain't in the book, it ain't legal, no matter how much we think it should be. I follow the written word, as well as I can understand it, because there is no "spirit of the rule".

As far as ACs go, I listened to one tell a guy he could modify the frame on his Sig P320, but HQ has ruled that illegal as well. 

Hopefully 2017 will provide more clarity.