Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Adjustable Sights - not enough adjustment?

viking84

For some reason the rear sight on my Limited Custom HC needs to be raised all the way up to get my shots on the bulls-eye at 25 meters, and even then it is shooting nearly an inch low. My front sight measures 3.55mm (0.140") from the top to the slide, which from what I gather is normal, and the rear sight is lifted up to what seems like its maximum, which is 2mm up from the slide (measuring the gap between the sight and the slide).

Anyone else seen this or is there something strange with my sights?

It is a fiberoptic sight, so I don't think I can take much off before the fiber risks falling out of the top :) Seems strange to me that the standard sight setup should need so much adjustment though, is that just manufacturing tolerances?

Edited by viking84

Well I never ran out of full adjustment, when using the factory sight heights, I found I had to raise my rear sight almost all the way up. I did not like the way it looked and also considering that the LPA Super Sights are known for breaking I figured the more threads holding the rear sight together the better. I have been using Dawson Fiber optic front sight with a height of 0.120'' on all of my guns. I like it much better.

3 hours ago, pfcchambers said:

I have been using Dawson Fiber optic front sight with a height of 0.120'' on all of my guns. I like it much better.

They make one that short? They didn't have that when i bought their front sight for my stock 2

I have seen a few different versions of the adjustable rear sight over the years which had slightly different height blades, it's possibe these a mismatch, did you buy it new?

Either way, Dawson sells FO front sights in many heights, I suggest you dial the rear down to where you want it to be, point the pistol where you want to on the target, shoot a group, then measure the distance from center, use the calculator on Dawson's site and order a shorter front sight from them.

https://dawsonprecision.com/sight-calculator/

I have been using Dawson Fiber optic front sight with a height of 0.120'' on all of my guns. I like it much better.

They make one that short? They didn't have that when i bought their front sight for my stock 2

Yes like kneeling atlas said all the way down to 0.110. When I bought mine a few years ago 0.120 was the shortest. I'm pretty certain I could run a 0.110, but the 0.120 has been working and keeps my rears fairly level and not cranked up to much. 

Those Dawson sights look good, I will have to see if I can find some of those here in Europe! I can get the Henning stuff here fairly easily, but sadly he only makes a 0.140 height as the shortest.

Edit: Still seems strange to me that the original sight should be so far out though... as someone else pointed out, the rear sight now looks rather precariously attached!

Edited by viking84