Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting from cover.

B_RAD

This is not a thread to bash the rules or the subjectivity of the rules. I'd like to know how folks here approach shooting around cover and the fear of get a PE  

A little back story. I shot my second sanctioned match this past weekend. It was a tier 4 match. I did not shoot my best, had WAY too many pts dn!  Which is #1 on my list of why my performance was poor for this match! 

Now for the reason for this thread  

I noticed some SO's are WAY more focused on cover than others. We had one SO tell us during the stage description/walk thru "if you get a cover call, you earned it". Now, I don't believe he was out to get anyone but thought that was interesting. There was another stage where they had one guy sitting back doing nothing but looking to see if anyone was out of cover. Again, don't think they were trying to get anyone but they were looking hard to see!

Two questions

1. Is it in the rules that both SO's on a stage can call for PE? I would think yes. 

2. and this is my main question, do you just plan out where you're gonna run to at a certain position and then just execute, with the mind set of I think this spot is behind cover and if I get a PE I get a PE? Assuming that most SO's aren't gonna be a cover nazi?! I know sometimes you have to adjust and step back when you know you're out but assuming you think you're good, is that what you do? (Dumb question I know!)  

Every stage I was worried about getting a PE so just about everytime I'd step back and that cost me a lot of time over 12 stages.  

I'm still new to the game and this is something I need to work on. I'm a SSP MA so these little things can make a difference. It didn't in this match, for me at least. My pts dn hurt bad. That and the 2 NT hits!

Just wondering how everyone else approaches it?  

Edited by B_RAD

Here is how I approach it, at least at bigger matches. Club matches don't concern me much.

You need to get a feel for the SO's on the bay, you'll be able to tell if they're cover nazi's or not. You should also pretty easily be able to tell which positions will be the easiest for them to call you on. In some cases (think hall ways) they will have trouble calling cover anyway. I think it's still in the rules that the SO's  are supposed to define the cover for you. So if I'm not sure I'll ask directly if my foot is in cover at a certain spot. Typically they will say yes or no.

Once I know where my feet need to be, when running the stage I just look at that spot on the ground as I approach the shooting position. When I'm about 1-2 steps away I should be lined up and able to get my foot where I want it. My eye's will then leave the spot on the ground and start looking for the 1st target as I bring the gun up. This way as soon as my foot is in the correct spot I'm ready to shoot.

Typically if you're not a little off balance you're probably not in cover correctly.

Just pick a spot on the ground and try to plant your foot on it. If you use cover properly, you don't have to worry about whether the SO is calling it tight. Well, most of the time. Some SOs are still working from the 2005 rule book or just completely making stuff up. 

21 hours ago, racknrider said:

Just pick a spot on the ground and try to plant your foot on it. If you use cover properly, you don't have to worry about whether the SO is calling it tight. Well, most of the time. Some SOs are still working from the 2005 rule book or just completely making stuff up. 

I'm gonna start doing this. It'll be a while before the next sanctioned match. I'm sure I'll get some calls but oh well. 

Actually the spot or mark on the ground should look like a big inverted  V as that foot should be turning to the next target. The SO in the chair was at least constant on our squad, he nailed 3 of them like a boss and didn't batt an eye..:o..

About every stage there was heavily marked with that type of gravel.. Clubs with the 2" size rocks or grass are a little hard to see the spot..

On 10/18/2016 at 7:01 AM, B_RAD said:

I'm a SSP MA so these little things can make a difference. It didn't in this match, for me at least. My pts dn hurt bad. That and the 2 NT hits!

I'm not trying to criticize here, but I feel like a SSP Master should have shooting position approach down by now.

5 hours ago, Peplow530 said:

I'm not trying to criticize here, but I feel like a SSP Master should have shooting position approach down by now.

Still pretty new to the game. So, like I said, just wondering how much folks sweat the potential for a cover call at bigger matches when you got SO's doing nothing but watching where you put your foot. This isn't happening at the club level. Not where I'm shoooting at least. 

20 minutes ago, B_RAD said:

Still pretty new to the game. So, like I said, just wondering how much folks sweat the potential for a cover call at bigger matches when you got SO's doing nothing but watching where you put your foot. This isn't happening at the club level. Not where I'm shoooting at least. 

At the sanctioned matches I've attended, with only a few exceptions, I haven't noticed cover being called very tightly. What I have noticed is that only about 1 in 10 SOs uses the proper range commands.