Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

benelli bolt machining

kiwiaug

I heard it was so you could run lighter loads.

I heard a fast finger can still out run a machined bolt carrier.

I heard it was to make the gun more reliable.

I heard it makes the gun feed better with a welded carrier.

I heard it makes no difference at all.

I hear all sorts of things, but almost all of them have nothing go do with why it was originally done...although a nice side benefit was the fact that it did close a bit faster. I first machined one in 1998, around the time that Bevin Gram did some of the first ones as well.....it was done to decrees muzzle rise and for that it is very effective!

• 3 weeks later...

I milled the right side down flat, keeping just enough metal to keep the THINNED STOCK BOLT HANDLE from turning. Milled off the front shield that covers the extractor. Milled off the top ridge on the bolt so you can access the cam pin slot for oiling without disassembling. Gave it my out of battery loading cut that I first did in 1996. Lightened the tail shaft, and run only a Benelli stock, standard weight recoil spring. Then I bought 10 inertia springs and kept the ones I felt were closest to ideal (3 out of 10).  The 1911 springs flex tied together never seemed to provide fast enough closing speed! ;)

Thanks kurt. So basically you removed as much weight off the bolt as you could, while keeping the stock weight recoil spring and thats the most effective way to reduce muzzle rise? I see a lot of guys lightening the bolt and the spring weight and they have problems shooting light loads.