Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stock 2/3 Extreme FP Block Question

If you chamber check 100 rounds and they all spin freely when dropped into the barrel, they're loaded short enough for your chamber. Reaming it won't likely gain you much.

If you're loaded too long for your barrel & bullet combination, however, and your hammer strike is driving the bullet into the rifling instead of encountering a case sitting squarely against the front of the chamber...

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

If you chamber check 100 rounds and they all spin freely when dropped into the barrel, they're loaded short enough for your chamber. Reaming it won't likely gain you much.

If you're loaded too long for your barrel & bullet combination, however, and your hammer strike is driving the bullet into the rifling instead of encountering a case sitting squarely against the front of the chamber...

I will have to try it.  I did it with a few bullets but no where close to 100.

When shooting at a major match, the ultimate case gauge is your gun's chamber. For a state championship or higher-level match? Every single round I plan to shoot there gets run through the chamber. It has to spin freely and the primer has to be below flush, or it goes in the 'practice' pile for later use.

Since I started doing that, I've never, ever had a malfunction at a large match.

If my gun isn't acting right, that's the kind of quality control I'm going to do to the ammo I feed it.

If it doesn't go bang?  It has got to be insufficient firing pin force or defective primers.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

2 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

When shooting at a major match, the ultimate case gauge is your gun's chamber. For a state championship or higher-level match? Every single round I plan to shoot there gets run through the chamber. It has to spin freely and the primer has to be below flush, or it goes in the 'practice' pile for later use.

Since I started doing that, I've never, ever had a malfunction at a large match.

If my gun isn't acting right, that's the kind of quality control I'm going to do to the ammo I feed it.

If it doesn't go bang?  It has got to be insufficient firing pin force or defective primers.

That is outstanding!  I still only shoot local matches but, that is great advice.  I love to see how devoted people are to the art of shooting.  There is so many variables to be considered.  This is certainly something I am going to be using.

Very Cool

8 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

This points out where many "gun failures" come from.  The ammo.   Slightly large diameter cases may not seat fully into the chamber and can even  keep the slide from going full forward. Bullet diameter can vary and hit the rifling holding the round from full seating. Too long... same thing.  High primer may waste energy being seated by the pin strike rather than popping. Etc etc. 

But... I've gone too deep on primers and crushed the compound in them.  oops. Not enough is bad...too much is also bad! Who knew?

• 2 months later...
On 10/16/2016 at 10:05 PM, johnbu said:

That's exactly how I shoot !

Except.... I'm like lots slower and miss....a lot.

And don't forget putting one in the no shoot

• 6 years later...