Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How Bad?

Pistolpete9

I do a lot of outlaw matches and mostly play the pistol games if I'm going official, but I have a chance to do a few 3-Gun matches over the next several months.  Is a cheap AR like the Ruger AR 556 going to do so much worse that I can't even have fun?  Seems like there won't be any shots over 250 yds based on the area the matches will be.  I'm not really interested in going all out on a .223 right now and I'm pretty sure that competing with the .308 will slow me down A LOT (and be much more expensive), so I was thinking about grabbing a cheapy.  I haven't really done many official 3-Gun matches though and I've borrowed a friend's rifle at the few I went to.

You don't have to go into specifics.  Just looking for a "save your money" or "it'll be fine for that".  Thanks!

You can build a budget 3 gun AR easily. Lots of YouTube videos on budget builds, and I'm sure on enos through the search button.

Can get a cheap barrel that should be good for 1-2 MOA (faxon barrels come to mind), a decent trigger, pick an adjustable gas block, a good handguard, and pick a comp that works (miculek/JP etc). The rest is fill in with what you want. Lots of budget receivers available etc. You can easily get one put together under 1k$ that will outshoot any of the factory offerings in that price range. 

***edit*** also I wouldn't waste $750 on an Ar that you will eventually replace almost everything with. You'll want a different handguard, trigger, stock, and gas system. That already puts you into lots of top end goodies on your *budget* AR. 

Edited by MHitchcock

Trying to keep it low hassle.  I really am not in love with the caliber (hence the reason I've sold my past AR and Sig 556), but figured if it was cheap and easy enough, it might be worth it.  Really not looking to dedicate too much time or cash.  I guess if I can get a really decent quality build for under $1k without having to do hours of research and work, I might go for it.

I feel you. You can find blemished uppers and lowers for a good price and their functionally perfect. Faxon or ballistic advantage barrels will be south of 150. Miculek brake around 35, magpul moe stock, etc. Check out the classifieds, might find parts or a 3gun ready carbine someone might be willing to part with that would be a better option than an off the shelf carbine.

Actually. There is one on the classifieds that may be a good fit for you if it's not gone (someone said they sent PM not that it means anything)...check out the stag 3G he's asking $1250 shipped with a Burris 1-4 with mount that you could sell and be under 1k$. Should be a 1 MOA rifle. Has all the extras already...

They are $1250 new without optic. He added a JP comp ($100).

If I have some time later I'll toss together a sample build and throw it in this thread. 

Edited by MHitchcock

To answer your original question- any AR-15 that is reliable will be good enough to get you going. A bone stock rifle will not be optimal for shooting 3 gun, but as long as it runs you can certainly have fun and as long as you do your part you should be able to hit pretty much any target out to 250 yards like you describe.

If you don't like 5.56 and are only going to do a few matches over the upcoming months why not just shoot your 308?

It certainly won't cost the same as a new rifle to shoot some 308?

Then I guess if it really gets s a hold of you just build one over the winter

My first jump into the AR world was an Anderson Rifles m-4.   I have 2 buddies that I encouraged to buy them.   All 3 guns will shoot sub MOA groups.  I have shot and connected with steel to 900 yards.   I have changed the trigger in mine, and added a 15"Midwest industries Handguard.  It works great in 3 gun matches.   Most matches in North Texas have 400-600 long range targets, and this performs just fine.  

Good luck, once you start 3 gun, everything else will pale in comparison.