Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 650 and EGW 9mm die feeding issues

2 hours ago, jrn1975 said:

Recap of what has been done..

What I noticed was that if I put a tiny bit of upwards pressure on the right side of the platform, the case aligns perfectly with the die.  The problem is, as soon as you tighten down the platform it pulls the right side down enough to throw it out of alignment. There is no up or down adjustment on the platform, only side to side.

Before buying a new platform, is it possible to just shim it to keep it in the proper alignment so tightening it down doesn't pull it from plum?  

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you align station 1 after inserting the die, do you have a case in stations 4 and 5? I found that it is critical during setup with mine that you have the press with brass in it just as you would when loading. I mention this because you said if you tip the shellplate up on the right it aligns perfect. So either the ram was machined incorrectly or there needs to be brass on the other stations pushing down on the shellplate as if it would be during use. (could there be a burr or something on the ram?)

<edit> and yeah I would hope someone from Dillon chimes in soon or I'd send it in for service. that's crazy what you have done.

Edited by mikeinctown

38 minutes ago, theWacoKid said:

Before buying a new platform, is it possible to just shim it to keep it in the proper alignment so tightening it down doesn't pull it from plum?  

I have seriously thought about doing this.. and maybe I will as soon as I can figure out what to use for a shim

1 hour ago, mikeinctown said:

When you align station 1 after inserting the die, do you have a case in stations 4 and 5? I found that it is critical during setup with mine that you have the press with brass in it just as you would when loading. I mention this because you said if you tip the shellplate up on the right it aligns perfect. So either the ram was machined incorrectly or there needs to be brass on the other stations pushing down on the shellplate as if it would be during use. (could there be a burr or something on the ram?)

I have actually tried both.. Brass in station one only and shellpate full.. No difference made.  I noticed today at lunch, there is no pressure on the shellplate from any other station when the brass hits the side of the resizing die.

Soo, here is a thought.   What if the entire shellpate had the slots cut slightly off? IE not perfectly parallel to the top and bottom. 

I say this because when I raise the platform with a piece of brass in station one, it appears as though the brass is leaning to the outside of the shellplate slightly..  While I thought it was the platform, it very well could be the shellpate.  The other stations may not be causing issues because they have a wider tolerance and the brass is held more securely in place with the locator pins.

Just a thought..  Looks like I pick up that caliber conversion after work to test it out.  Good thing is, I can always return it if it doesn't solve the issue.

I was looking at some photos of the ram just now. Thinking that you may be able to tell if something was off center by looking for a shiny spot on the casting under the shell plate. As every case seems to be off in every locator position on the shellplate, the problem seems to be from the ram/casting itself. Looking for wear or a shiny surface area may show where the shell plate is rubbing and where it may not be rubbing but is supposed to.

2 hours ago, Phlier said:

RDA, I'm not sure how this could be a shell plate problem.. wouldn't a problematic shell plate cause problems at *all* stations, and not just station one? I'm not at all familiar with the 650 (only the 550 and 1050), so I'm asking this to learn something new...

Perhaps, but maybe just one or two of the five locations were machined improperly, or the shell plate is warped/cupped, or some of the stations are crudded up not allowing the brass to fully seat in certain stations.

2 hours ago, Phlier said:

RDA, I'm not sure how this could be a shell plate problem.. wouldn't a problematic shell plate cause problems at *all* stations, and not just station one? I'm not at all familiar with the 650 (only the 550 and 1050), so I'm asking this to learn something new...

Perhaps, but maybe just one or two of the five locations were machined improperly, or the shell plate is warped/cupped, or some of the stations are crudded up not allowing the brass to fully seat in certain stations.

Ask Dillon to cross ship you a new shell plate.  They would send you a new shellplate, and you'd ship the old one back within a given time frame (if not they will charge you for the new one).  Don't go out and buy an entire caliber conversion, just for a part that's warranted by Dillon!:o

I can't remember which part, but I did this once for a part that cost more, and wasn't included in the spare parts kit.

I'd say alignment of the shellplate or lack there of would immediately be noticeable with a tighter Lee die.  Plus, the buttons and station 2 locator limit movement in the other stations, unlike @ station one.

Edited by hceuterpe

Sorry I haven't posted up here in a couple of days but I have a friend of a friend hopefully coming by tonight to try and help me sort out the issues I'm having.  I figure another set of eyes would be helpful in trying to take care of the issue.  I called Dillon again and they think the primer issue was a bent part so I'm waiting on that to show up but they still have no solution for the sizing issue.

Well my press is currently running pretty smooth after I converted the tool head to float station one and replaced the shellplate.  It was certainly a ton of hassle to get to this point but through the last 500 rounds, I only had one where I had to guide it into the resizing die.

• 3 months later...
On 10/18/2016 at 0:27 PM, jrn1975 said:

Well my press is currently running pretty smooth after I converted the tool head to float station one and replaced the shellplate.  It was certainly a ton of hassle to get to this point but through the last 500 rounds, I only had one where I had to guide it into the resizing die.

I use the EGW U-die as well, and had to re-align my 550 and 650 out of the box. Same issues as you - case would tip when slowly inserted into the U-die, crushing case mouths etc.

The 550 was easier to fix than my 650. I just recently corrected my 650.  Had to use the alignment tool and re-adjust the platform to one extreme, where the tool wouldn't raise up when the ram was raised. Once I got that down. I had to re-time the shell plate to the new alignment via adjusting the Indexer Block (16776). Then I had to do the case in Station 1 with the Die lock nut loose, raise the ram and then tighten down the lock nut.

No issues with alignment or case tipping in Station 1 after all that.

Also, you have to make sure your camming pin is adjusted properly, or the case won't get fully into the shell-plate every time. The procedure is on page 38 of the manual.

Edited by ES13Raven