Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New reloader

Mikeski

30 minutes ago, Mikeski said:

I have already started buying Primers and stuff so when i get the press i can just start rolling. 

Make sure you have dial or digital calipers for measuring, a powder charge scale, bullet remover of some sort, and of course a reloading chart from at least the company you are using for powder. I usually try to check two sources to make sure the numbers are at least close. I've also found the members here give better info in general than do the manuals.

So far I have picked up a brass cleaner/sorter, a bullet puller, Lyman handbook, and case gauges.  I have a scale and calipers already (used to build golf clubs when I was a golf pro). 

I'm the kind of guy who would rather have more tools than he needs, then having to rig something because I don't have the tool/part.

• 1 month later...

You're going to love loading on a 650. But please take your time. There's a boatload of stuff happening at the same time. Don't get caught up in the production thing. Let the speed take care of itself. You're going to make mistakes. Best advice I can give you is to have a hammer type bullet puller close by.

• 3 weeks later...

Active USPSA shooter for several years.  Decided to get into reloading to be able to tailor my rounds more closely to my pistol.  I just started reloading this year after spending several months researching the various machines and general topic of reloading.  Ending up getting a Dillon 650 and don't regret it one bit! 

As some  other folks have said, there's a lot going on and having a good mechanical aptitude doesn't hurt (I used to be a mechanic in a previous life, the Dillon is infinitely less complex than today's modern motors).  Having said that, I created quite a few 'dummy' rounds in the process of getting my dies adjusted.  Now that I've got things relatively dialed in, I'm enjoying the learning the various interactions between powder, bullets, loading dimensions and the various idiosyncrasies of different pistol manufacturers.

Ok i got it all set up and dialed in. I was running one round at a time to see what was happening at each station. Then I loaded up the case tube and loaded 40 rounds. Now i will test these rounds out this week and see how they work. 

Biggest peace of mind and safety comes from using a case gauge on all rounds (Shockbottle 100 round gauge makes this quick) and making sure to visually check powder volume in Every. Single. Case. before putting a bullet on top.

You won't be disappointed.  It tends to snowball after a while.  I have the 650 and 1050 love both of them.  Just take your time pay lots of attention it will all fall into play one of the biggest thing is case preparation it will really help for a smooth  reloading session. 

On 1/18/2017 at 9:51 AM, Mikeski said:

OK so In total I have 90 rounds loaded and will be heading to the range on Friday to Crono and see how they perform. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Interested to see how your rounds tested out...

On 1/18/2017 at 9:51 AM, Mikeski said:

OK so In total I have 90 rounds loaded and will be heading to the range on Friday to Crono and see how they perform. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

After a short time you won't be thinking in terms of 90-100 rounds. When I sit down to load a caliber, I usually think of 2000-3000 rounds.That way I won't have to change back to it  for a while.

Ok so my rounds worked great. Average 172 power factor using 124 precision deltas and 8.6 gn of hs-6. Dot stays on target, when I have a good grip. So I am pleased and look forward in loading this for awhile.