Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RL550B priming problem

I've started having issues with my RL550B intermittently not picking up small primers.  I assumed, that having loaded a several hundred rounds in its current config, maybe it was time to clean the primer slide / slide bearing.  After doing that and putting it back together, I found I still wasn't getting full unimpeded travel of the primer slide.  After taking things apart again, I found that the primer seating cup was hitting/rubbing the primer housing on its way in to pick up a primer.  I disassembled/reassembled the primer slide several times, and the only way I could get that slide to slide into the housing without the seating cup hitting the housing was to leave the spring (14033) out.  Is it possible the primer seating punch (13757) is just slightly bent and causing the cup to cant just enough to not make it smoothly into the housing?

When I have had this issue a primer found its way where it shouldn't be and was blocking the full movement. Sounds like you have taken it apart a bunch but maybe take another good look around for a pesky primer hanging out where it shouldn't be?

Njl,

Do a search on google or bing for "Dillon 550b primer track bearing plate upgrade with bearing".

It fixes many of the 550b primer pickup issues.  Others will have their opinions I am sure, and you would not be poorly served listening to them either.  Do not over tighten the bolts holding the primer tube assembly, scotch bright the surfaces of the bottom of the primer assembly, keep it as clean as possible, and adjust the "z" bar thingy correctly are several to start with.

My experience with the above upgrade is so positive that it is the #2 recommended upgrade for this press if the person is going to load 9mm or 40SW.  EGW U die is #1 for these calibers.  If they are loading other calibers than theses, the bearing plate is #1.

Others will come along shortly and offer advice as well, you will get it figured out with the help of this knowledgeable group of people.

molson

I'm already using an upgraded primer track bearing.  The interference between the primer cup and housing is present even with the housing off the press, just trying to slide the primer slide into the housing with both parts in my hands.

Only primer issues I had on old 550 (85) and new SD (00) were from the flexible orifice. Replaced with 650 primer magazine tubes (brass tip) and no issues in over 10 years since. Dillon does not recommend this fix.

It so much solved as worked around. I had a spare complete small primer slide and that one works fine.

I'll try one more time to disassemble/reassemble the "bad" one before giving up on it.

I was mostly just curious if bending the primer seating punch is something others have done. I suspect that's what's happened.