Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Versamax Sportsmen Failure to Feed

ramms123

So I purchased a Versamax Sportsman back in August and have put over 800 rounds through it and it will still will not reliably cycle shells (FtF approximately 75% of the time). I shoot sporting clays so I clean it every 100 shells (detailed cleaning of pistons as well). After shooting about 200 rounds I noticed there was a wear on the upper part of the chamber, but no noticeable wear on the bolt. I smoothed that out and haven't noticed that being a problem anymore. It seems to catch on the right side of the shell as the bolt tries to push it into place. I typically shoot multipurpose or target load 2 3/4 length 1 1/8 oz shot and 2 3/4 - 3 dram. I have tried heavier loads with mixed results. 

The specs on my shotgun include: 

1. 28 inch barrel
  2. Carbon Arms extension tube w/ upgraded spring ( I did not alter the spring length)
  3. CRums welded lifter
  4. Opened loading port

I am about to the point of throwing this gun in the river and buying a Benelli. Any help will be appreciated thanks guys!

That's the common mode of failure on a VM: front of shell is catching on the extractor cut.  Very common to use a file to lightly take the edge of the sharp ejector cut of the chamber.  But don't take too much material off because you lose rim support which can lead to the extractor popping off the rim. Do a search here on enos for "extractor cut", I imagine lots of posts and threads will come up.

BTW I think the generally accepted practice for a VM is to _not_ clean the pistons, except maybe after like 20k rounds.

Edited by adamge

Good advice above - the root cause is the welded lifter, which lacks the original lifter's feature for centering the shell nose. You could well have the same problem even if you switched to a Benelli.

You do not mention the brand of shells you are running, though "multipurpose" implies one of the budget-priced bulk pack products. The cheaper shells often have less consistent crimp - my VMs sometimes hang up this way with Federal and Winchester bulk pack birdshot. I suggest you try Remington game load birdshot (available at WalMart for almost the same price as Fed/Win bulk pack, but much better crimp). I also have good luck with Winchester AA and Remington Nitro. Don't go too crazy with your gun until you have tried some good quality shells.

Edited by StealthyBlagga

• 3 weeks later...