Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tricks to bending mag springs

gerritm

So after about an hour of trying I am going to ask. Have a Dawson no tilt follower and new Grams 13 coil spring for 170mm STI  38 super mag. According to directions you cut the top coil end to match a pattern on their card and then install it on the follower. I can't seem to get the coil tight enough around the follower to where it doesn't rub on the inside of the mag.  Any tricks.

I did get aggravated and ordered a complete Grams follower and spring pre-installed.

gerritm

I believe the intent of the instructions from Dawson's for their follower is that they are meant to work with STI springs or IMSI and probably Wolff.  They all have a similar spring design.  Grams and TTI springs are designed to work with their proprietary followers.  This all coincides with what Eric explained above as well.

Good luck

On 10/4/2016 at 7:06 AM, gerritm said:

I did get aggravated and ordered a complete Grams follower and spring pre-installed.

as you said and others above, use the follower with the spring that is already made for it

I've gone the route of Dawson with sTI springs worked good and held 23 in 140's, 29 in 170's

Tried grams this year the worked Ok but seemed spongy , my opinion

Using TTI springs and followers now like them the most (Ford or Chevy)

Get them matched up and shoot