Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dot View Question

mont1120

With my eyesight failing due to age, my friend let me try out his open STI with a C-More red dot, and I had a question about the sight itself. It seemed to me there were two dots, one faded and small, the other quite bright and easily visible. It would take some time for me to re-acquire the dot after each shot, I understand that, but is it normal to have the dimmer second dot in the view?

It was disconcerting to have to pick between the two on the transitions especially. If this is normal, I will have to say I would prefer regular fiber optic signts on L10 and SS pistols by far.

You should only be seeing one dot on the C-More.  I sometimes use an 8 minute dot and it shows nice and bright.  Perfectly round in the center of the glass.   Lately do to my eyesight I've switched to a 16 minute dot.  I run it at 7 brightness and can just see through the dot to verify my sight picture.  I like seeing the target instead of just seeing the big dot.

I get no washout even in the bright Arizona sun.  If you are getting two dots there is something wrong with your sight.

After looking at the scope itself (dirty aperture on the.module, damaged lens, etc.) I might also wonder whether your vision might be part of the issue.  I think that if a person is not strongly dominant in either eye, both eyes might be trying to pick up the dot and you end up with two images, one stronger than the other.  For me this happens with iron sights, where I end up with two front images and can't merge them, so I end up closing one eye for tight shots.

Others' thoughts?

I would presume astigmatism.   With  my aimpoint (on an AR)  I see two overlapping dots,  I sight in for accuracy with the brighter one which is also the one slightly higher up.  For quick shooting at close targets just use both together and don't notice.     :)     I expect at usual USPSA ranges OP could plaster both dots on center of target and be fine.

EricG

I just re-read the OP and realized that he said a friend loaned him his gun to try out.  If it's the gun/scope, you could figure that out quickly by trying another gun (or simply asking the owner what he sees).  If not, see if your own vision might be the cause. 

It may be a hardware problem.  I have an old PDP3 propoint (hardened and shortened by Ross) that has a main dot, and a much lighter ghost dot.  I think this is due to over torquing the mount, either way....I am not the only one seeing it.  :(

Have a friend or family member with good eyes look through it and see if they see both dots, also.

Just had an eye exam, both eyes are almost equal. If I do the dominant eye test, I am equal in both eyes, and as age advances, I can say it seems my right eye is slightly better on some days. Being a lefty might also be an issue, the mount was an angle mount and it did bother my vision on transitions as my dominant eye was blocked on movement. Perhaps an upright mount would make a difference.

Thanks for the replies, I will take a look through a different gun and see if that "shadow" dot appears.

Edited by mont1120