Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Newbie Question about handbooks

thejez

I am new to reloading and so I need some source of load data.  How important is it to have the latest edition of these loading handbooks?  I can buy the edition before the latest for pretty cheap.  I only load 9mm right now so my needs are pretty simple I guess.  Or perhaps I don't need a handbook at all?  Are there better ways to get load data than a book?

thanks in advance.  

There are many ways to find load data. The powder manufacturer usually has a website that has their load data on it...

As for the book, the previous edition will be a great reference...while it may not have 100% of the current loads people are using. 

2 hours ago, GrumpyOne said:

There are many ways to find load data. The powder manufacturer usually has a website that has their load data on it...

As for the book, the previous edition will be a great reference...while it may not have 100% of the current loads people are using. 

excellent.  thanks for the help.

I am relatively new also and I found these sites very helpful

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/default.aspx?page=/reloaders/RecipeList.aspx&gtypeid=1

http://www.reloadersnest.com/index.asp

http://www.castpics.net/LoadData/Freebies/RM/winchester.html

always cross reference, always double check. These were written by people and people make mistakes.  If you find two sources that differ go to a third source.  You are making small explosive devices so you want to do it as safely as possible.  

8 hours ago, thejez said:

I am new to reloading and so I need some source of load data.  How important is it to have the latest edition of these loading handbooks?  I can buy the edition before the latest for pretty cheap.  I only load 9mm right now so my needs are pretty simple I guess.  Or perhaps I don't need a handbook at all?  Are there better ways to get load data than a book?

thanks in advance.  

I collect and load for many older firearms, mostly military, and find that the older books are very useful. They have loads that work great and powders you dont think about. I would say get a book, newer will give you powders that may not have been around when the last book was printed. One example is BE-86 that isn't in my lyman 49. You can also compare internet loads to the books to see if they fall in a safe range. The reloading books have a lot of other info besides the actual load data.

The cross reference / human error aspect is a good point. I'm going to get the book and also use those websites to double check. I see a lot of people posting reloading data here as well and it could be used to double check those as well. I'm sure there are several mistakes here as well.  

Two of the best places.  I find for load Data are the Hodgdon Annual Manual price around $10.00 .  I get a new one every year and save them, great for Data Info on new

Powders , New Load Data, and so much more.  In a hurry go to the Hodgdon Web site they have all the load data you could ask for.  The books you are talking about are very good but big $$$$$$.  I purchased a few of them, put the Hodgdon Annual is the best.  Sometimes you can find them in Wallmart or the past Issuess on line.

LV Bill

I don't own a book.

just about anything you need can be found online.

I get all competition load data from these forums. There isn't a book out there with as much data as can be found right here.

44 minutes ago, Sarge said:

I get all competition load data from these forums.

+1    +2    &  +3

I never would have tried loading 9mm Major 10 years ago, when I started shooting OPEN,

without this valuable resource.  BE Forums gave me the guts to "go for it" - glad I did.

I think of all the years I subscribed to multiple "gun magazines" that provided so Very Little

practical info - and then, I found BE Forums.    :bow:

You don't even have to ask any questions - just read the past year's postings and you will

find most of what you need, to load anything (popular action calibers, that is).