Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm throat reamer?

Xanatos903

I'm interested in starting to load 9mm major for my open Glock, and it seems like most of the aftermarket barrels with sufficient chamber support are shipped with short throats. After measuring one of my old Lone Wolf barrels, it seems like I can only load my chosen bullet out to ~1.13", which is a little shorter than I feel comfortable loading 9mm major to. So then I started doing some research on lengthening the throat of a barrel, and it seems like a pretty straightforward process. Problem is, 9mm throat reamers are about as expensive as the cost to have a gunsmith take 20 minutes of his time to do the cutting. 

My question now is whether anyone has 9mm throat reamer rentals. Chamber reamers are easily available since it seems like anyone doing a 1911 build has to cut their own chamber, but I can't find any that won't change my chamber dimensions. 4D has a throat reamer that cuts to .358" (presumably for .357), and PT&G doesn't rent their uni-throater. Does anyone here know of another source where I could rent this particular tool? 

In a Glock you will only gain around .020 OAL by throating.  Loading longer than 1.150 will eventually cause problems.

You might throat it a bit longer to reduce pressure----that could be helpful in short loaded major.

Last time I talked with Beven about throating a barrel he mentioned he has his reamers made to his specs. 

I don't recall the specifics, but I can say that the barrels he reamed all are easy to load for and don't seem picky about the ammo any longer. 

5 hours ago, open17 said:

In a Glock you will only gain around .020 OAL by throating.  Loading longer than 1.150 will eventually cause problems.

You might throat it a bit longer to reduce pressure----that could be helpful in short loaded major.

Why do you say that loading longer than 1.150" will cause problems? I loaded some dummy rounds to 1.16" and slightly below, and it seemed like they didn't have any trouble, even in an extended magazine where I was afraid they'd catch on the lip of the magazine body. 

1 hour ago, Xanatos903 said:

YMMV---but every time I've tried to go longer than 1.150 in a Glock,  sooner or later a round jams up in the magazine.  I've finally settled in to 1.145" for 

almost all my 9mm  ammo.  Half a dozen Glocks, a M&P, 2 1911's, a couple of CZ's.   I do load longer (1.175") for 3  9 Major

2011 based Open guns.

2 hours ago, open17 said:

YMMV---but every time I've tried to go longer than 1.150 in a Glock,  sooner or later a round jams up in the magazine.  I've finally settled in to 1.145" for 

almost all my 9mm  ammo.  Half a dozen Glocks, a M&P, 2 1911's, a couple of CZ's.   I do load longer (1.175") for 3  9 Major

2011 based Open guns.

I agree with Bill. I load to 1.145" in my open Glocks with either a Zero 125 gr JHP or a MG 124 grain JHP for exactly the same reason. Not every round is going to come off a Dillon press at exactly 1.145" either. That OAL gives a bit of leeway. Longer than 1.150" will eventually bite you with rounds getting jammed into the front of the magazine under recoil. It might not happen every time (if you are lucky), but my experience is it will happen and at the least opportune time. Some 9 bullet profiles are worse, some are better. The 40 Glock mags are even less tolerant of longer rounds because of the wider bullet profiles. That said, if longer works for you with the 9's then do it. It did not for me.

I too load my 9 major 2011's to 1.170" with the same bullets because my SV mags will easily tolerate the longer length. I just reduce the powder charge a bit for the Glock due to the shorter OAL. Chrono is your friend.