Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Henning Firing Pin Broke

Wesquire

28 minutes ago, ryridesmotox said:

I have a gen5... I ran it in a match yesterday and was unimpressed. I clipped the spring and still was getting light strikes. If you want it, PM me... I'm sticking with my original firing pin for now.

What I don't understand is why henning pins are intentionally lighter. It reduces the momentum and wont launch a pencil as high, but maybe speed > momentum for lighting primers.

Didn't work for me. I was having light strikes on all stages in a match yesterday. I am going to experiment with clipping the spring a little more. I've already clipped It to 5 coils past the end of the pin, helped a little. If it doesn't work, I'll go back to the standard tanfo pin. It was working 100% with my current setup

Edited by ryridesmotox

8 hours ago, Wesquire said:

What I don't understand is why henning pins are intentionally lighter. It reduces the momentum and wont launch a pencil as high, but maybe speed > momentum for lighting primers.  [/quote] 

I agree. The Factory FP or xtreme have worked better for me.  As I understand it, lighter FP has a shorter lock time, thus less chance of draging sights off the target. I have 100% with HG5....but ONLY with federal match primers. There is more margin  using the heavier pin in my guns. YMMV.

Edited by johnbu

18 minutes ago, johnbu said:

Have you had the chance to compare the HG5 and xtreme directly? And I believe someone here measured all the firing pins, anyone know where that post is?

Edited by Wesquire

Back to back with a stock one, the gen5 was probably 80% reliable with a clipped spring while the original that came with the gun was 100%. I was using Fiocchi ammo so that might have had something to do with it, but I've never had an issue with them before. If the EGW is at least as good as the OEM FP, your fine. I have a suspicion it was mostly the primers in the Fiocchi were hard. 

I was running a 13lbs wolf hammer spring and a 12lbs patriot defense... Neither would pop the Fiocchi. I am going to swap back to the stock pin again and see if that is any better... Which I imagine it will be. The stock pin has lit off winchester, blazer, fiocchi, maxxtech, and federal factory ammo with the 13 lbs spring for me.

Obviously Every gun is an individual, I have not polished the firing pin or firing pin bore in the slide yet. So that might be some of the cause as well, but at this point, I'm going back to what worked last to confirm my setup is reliable then I will tune the firing pin and spring. 

1 hour ago, ryridesmotox said:

Back to back with a stock one, the gen5 was probably 80% reliable with a clipped spring while the original that came with the gun was 100%. I was using Fiocchi ammo so that might have had something to do with it, but I've never had an issue with them before. If the EGW is at least as good as the OEM FP, your fine. I have a suspicion it was mostly the primers in the Fiocchi were hard. 

I was running a 13lbs wolf hammer spring and a 12lbs patriot defense... Neither would pop the Fiocchi. I am going to swap back to the stock pin again and see if that is any better... Which I imagine it will be. The stock pin has lit off winchester, blazer, fiocchi, maxxtech, and federal factory ammo with the 13 lbs spring for me.

Obviously Every gun is an individual, I have not polished the firing pin or firing pin bore in the slide yet. So that might be some of the cause as well, but at this point, I'm going back to what worked last to confirm my setup is reliable then I will tune the firing pin and spring. 

Have you measured the pins? Ive seen some reports that the Xtreme pins arent even longer than the stock ones.

1 hour ago, Wesquire said:

Have you measured the pins? Ive seen some reports that the Xtreme pins arent even longer than the stock ones.

I don't have an extreme pin. But the length of the Henning and the stock one are the same visually. Ill measure them tonight when I get home, but they will be really close. Maybe I got sent the wrong one or something? I don't know. But I will put up a pic of a caliper showing the sizes of mine if someone puts up their egw pin maybe we can compare

20 minutes ago, ARy said:

It's becoming empirical that heavy and slow beats light and fast for primer ignition in this specific configuration

Sounds 100% correct. Even though I clipped springs mine didn't have enough inertia to pop the primer it apears. I should have swapped my pins out on Saturday... Oh well. There is always next time

The stock pistols MIGHT be shipped with xtreme firing pin. Not sure but I do KNOW the separatly purchased Xtreme is identical weight and length as the one in lim pro and the last 3 stock2 I measured.  the stock 2 is shipped with the Xtreme interrupor, verified via e-mail with Eric G, so it's possible.

The Henning g5 is Noticeably longer.

11 hours ago, Wesquire said:

Kinda confirms my thoughts too John. My stock 2's factory pin look the same in length and appeared to be the same weight. Oh well, 'least I've got an identical backup now.

No issues w/ ~200 cci primers, Xtreme pin, Xtreme "light" FP return spring, and 13lb PD hammer spring with mildly polished stock internals.

Edited by SCTaylor

Alright, so why does basically everyone here use Henning pins if they aren't even as good as the stock pins? Maybe the gen 4/5 pins equalize the difference by being the longest pins yet...but that does make them more fragile. I can't imagine lock time as being even remotely on the list of priorities.

The gen 3 henning FP was (imho) BETTER than the EG pin.  I stuck my only G3 forward and slammed a full mag home..click click click.  put in EG pin, ordered 4 gen5 pins.  Can't put them in as the EG works better (for me). And I really like Henning products!

I even tried to fill the hole with tungsten to get the weight up!

6 minutes ago, johnbu said:

The gen 3 henning FP was (imho) BETTER than the EG pin.  I stuck my only G3 forward and slammed a full mag home..click click click.  put in EG pin, ordered 4 gen5 pins.  Can't put them in as the EG works better (for me). And I really like Henning products!

I even tried to fill the hole with tungsten to get the weight up!

I wonder why Henning hasn't made and extra weight extra length firing pin. That would allow the lightest trigger possible. I'm not chasing crazy light triggers, so I'm more concerned about durability.

18 minutes ago, ARy said:

Well, we just released our firing pin spring. It's sprung 50% LESS than an E.G. light spring. It has a compression stop wound in, so no extra protrusion into the breach face. 

We'll see how it goes; I think we our spring and the heavier extreme or even stock pin, the problem will be solved. 

So the reduced power should slow the firing pin down less, right? Any downside to this?

Yeah but what they're asking is...

is that a .22 bore brush you're using in the drill? How are you polishing the internal holes and passages?

Yup. This is my exact question. A 22 bore brush is a perfect fit. But I have no idea what kind of hell it would unleash inside of there. Lol.