Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stock 2 - Match Essential Spare Parts

SCTaylor

Hey guys, I looked but can't find definitive info on the essential spares to carry for a Stock 2.  I've got a major match next month which is out of town so I want to be prepared.

My limited experience with the Tanfo platform doesn't help. So far I've only got a 10lb recoil spring, Henning FP, 13lb PD hammer spring and stock, polished, internals, if that makes any difference.

Edit to add - do have a FO front sight, keep spare rods & a lighter in the tool kit.

Thanks!

Edited by SCTaylor

Get a spare gun. Most of the parts take more than a few minutes to swap, and you don't want to be doing it at the safe table. 

That being said, after this year, I have started carrying a spare extractor along with all the spare springs. It's only $12 from EAA.

Lol, spare gun is the smart and easy choice, but most expensive.

Springs move, moving parts break or weaken, i have a full set, but only hear about rare cases of the trigger return spring breaking. The extractor spring is reputed to weaken after about 10-15 k rounds, but the Wolff xtra power version lasts much longer. I've switched to the Wolff on general principles.  CZs break slide stops, but haven't heard much about them failing on tanfo.  Have heard the rear sight shake apart for some.  If you run very light springs, the firing pin could stick forward (only happens if you trim the FP return spring too much). The firing pin keeper (back plate) can then fall off and be lost, the pin could also break if you try to load with the pin stuck.   As usually happens, the more complete the kit, the less likely it is a failure will occur. 

Ha getting another gun is out of the question. I'll have my CZ 75B as a back-up though.

Okay so I'll take my stock hammer spring, stock firing pin & spring, stock FP block, add in extra extractor & springs.

[/quote] As usually happens, the more complete the kit, the less likely it is a failure will occur.[/quote]

No kidding! Or it is a doozie that can't be fixed! Few years ago I had a 18 hour straight run from Florida here to Texas with my 17' boat, prepared for nearly everything.  Had a full tool kit, two spare tires, two spare hubs, jack, blocks, etc. for any issues the tires and/or hubs may have. Well I'll be damned if the leaf spring didn't break & take the axle out from under the trailer while going 70mph. Little damage to the boat but no one was hurt.

Happened to my friend Kelly Raglin on our second day at Production Nationals this year.  He has 70,000 rounds on his CZ and hadn't changed any parts out.  Two of our squad mates were CZ shooters with spare parts galore, and were able to help him replace the spring.

It broke on his last trigger pull that morning while he was dryfiring in the hotel room.  He discovered it while making ready for the first stage of the day.  Dicey situation.  The CZ experts told him to replace it annually.

I too broke a return spring.  but I more F-ed it up myself than broke it "normally". Prior to PD springs and BOLO, reducing trigger force was more of an adventure. I changed the heat treat on the trigger spring to reduce it. . (I wouldn't recommend it) ;)

Dr Mitch... That's not dicey.

Dicey is zeroing a stage because it broke in the middle of it!

I'd add a spare rear sight to your spare parts list. Just based on how many other people in this forum have mentioned theirs stripping or coming apart.

For reals... My rear sight is loose already (wiggling a bit in the dovetail) and I've only shot maybe 2-3000 rounds through the gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2-3000 rounds... Damn, most guns don't see that in a lifetime.

I have a Plano box with extra recoil springs, hammer springs, trigger and plunger springs, firing pin, a spare hammer, and a spare roll pin for the trigger in case the canik pin falls out.

My time of 1911shooting has taught me one thing... If you don't have everything necessary to build a whole gun, minus frame and slide, you don't have enough shit.

Edited by ryridesmotox

They're already at full potential..lol.  But potential depends on how much effort a person devotes to it.  A person that never dry fires and runs 200 rounds a year can't even potentially be production national champion, but a person that dry fires with intelligence and purpose for 8-10 hours a day and fires 500 rounds a day.... has that potential.

Sorry, the coach in me snuck out...

On 9/8/2016 at 2:00 AM, ARy said:

Man I've owned sp01s, shadows, and tanfos. Not once, over 10's of thousands of rounds, have I ever broken a trigger return spring. I've never even met anyone that has, and my club is ripe with CZ shooters. 

I've heard of it happening too, so don't take this as me saying it doesn't happen... I just want to meet one person in real life, that this has happened to. Lol

A little over a year ago I broke one on my SP-01(non-shadow) in dry fire after probably 6 months of dry firing the piss out of it. This year one broke on my stock 2 during the Indiana Section Championship on stage 4 on the 2nd target, so I had to take a zero on the stage and missed placing in master because of it. I was in the same boat as you, until it happened to me.