Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 SVI reassembly question

lucas

I disassembled pistol to change out the trigger insert. The old insert was hard to force out. I can't see any damage done to the bow or the main body of the trigger connected.  I have only started to reassemble with the trigger, mag release and grip pushed on the frame when I noticed the trigger does not freely move back and forth in the frame. 

I reassembled it anyway and attempted to dry fire. The trigger sticks in the firing position and you have to pull back the trigger with your fingers. Any clue to what happened?

14 hours ago, EngineerEli said:

For our education, mind sharing what did end up being the problem?

It was the trigger part connected to the bow. The original trigger insert was difficult to remove, it was stuck. I had to slide a small crescent wrench across the back of the part of the trigger that is connected to the bow, and while holding that I used a small gun smith hammer to knock out the insert. Turns out ,I bent the back of the trigger to the left where it connects to the bow. With my fingers I tweaked it to the right very slightly and bingo. 

yes, they call them quick exchange inserts but in my experience on 2011's they are not all that quick. you can do it with grip on the gun, but it's better to take the grip off so you can take out the whole trigger bow assembly. I have had some inserts that you can press in easily by hand and some that were very hard. for those I put it in the vice and use a small 'mandrel' to push out the old insert and push in the new one. ensures no stress on the joint between trigger and bow or just as bad any force on the bow itself.