Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

On deck, in the hole

Steve Anderson

As we try to reduce tension and stress at the match, with the goal of being as relaxed as possible on the line, I'd be interested in what everybody does while waiting to shoot.

I've been a top dog watcher, scoping the good guys and ignoring the so-so shooters so  bad ideas can't take hold...but this has got me into a liitle trouble lately as I tried to emulate some runs that were out of my current skill level.

I think this weekend I'll try to enjoy being outside, paste more targets and ignore everyone else's runs.

I think that once a strategy is set, changing it based on what someone else does can be counter-productive for me. I have a lot to learn, but I have learned that a SOLID, sure bad plan is often better than a shaky, unsure good plan of attack.

So, you're third in line, what do you do all day?

SA

BTW, p.s.b.f. addresses this by stating that you don't really know anything about a run by someone else that looked spectacular...

I paste targets, reset steel or whatever needs to be done, because frankly, just sitting around waiting is boring.  Helping out gets everyone through much quicker.  You can also sometimes pick up a shortcut or two or learn something new about a stage as you walk through it to paste targets or reset steel.  If I'm in the hole, I've hopefully already got in my mind what I need to do, so I use that time to perform some last minute verifications that I'm materially ready to go, such as making sure mags are full and in place, etc.

I watch all the shooters, good and bad.  Even a blind squirell finds a nut now and then, and i'm more towards the latter end than the former!

I paste and set steel except when I'm the next shooter...gives me a few extra moments of walk thru...allows me to develop a back-up plan as well.

Steve,

"So, you're third in line, what do you do all day?"

You're question is tad confusing. :) If I'm third in line, I'll be double checking gear, mags, plan, etc., and be basically reminding myself not to try to exceed my current ability/capacity.

The rest of the time, once I have no doubts about my plan, I'll just be hanging out, taping targets, or whatever.

be

Sorry for the confusement. (yes I made it up)

I meant third in line all day, just as a general "not up right away, but soon" kinda thing.

I was telling Flex on the way home that I wasn't nervous at all during our Sunday match. I was fairly consistent, only made one dumb mistake, and tried Piatt's tip of just enjoying being outside and not at work.

Even though the box can be nerve-wracking, it beats the desk easily.

Also, since I recently squeaked into production A-class and have a LONG way to go for the M card, I didn't get classifier-itis. (I made that one up, too)

Look at the trees, they are comforting.

SA

Generally, i get to a stage, ( i have pre-loaded my mags on the journey or after the last time i shot. double check that i have had to walk up and shoot first, sometimes very short on the walk through... IDPA has helped a lot with the spur of the moment shooting.

In the hole, i think about relaxing, while pasting targets. when on deck, i replay the whole stage in my mind, relax and gather my focus. everyone has their OWN pre-cof ritual, see what works for you.

What I try to do (and take this for what it is worth as I have only been to one big match), is watch the people in front of me shoot the stage. Analyse what they did and why, and see if it works with my game plan. I also go paint steel between each shooter except when I'm the next shooter. Since I'm such a "newbie" (I've been shooting less than a year) I'll also talk to the other more experienced shooters in my squad about their plan for the stage. The other thing I like to do once my plan is set is to close my eyes and when I hear the beep go through the motions of drawing (without actualy drawing the gun) and shooting the stage in the sequence I had planned, picturing a perfect run (5 dings with 5 shots!)

Just my $.02,

Ray C. :)