Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DVC Limited 9mm horrible accuracy

450AK

Just brought home a (new to me) 9mm DVC-L; was very lightly used ~500 rounds of factory ammo. Disassembled inspected and cleaned (although it was as new), lubed and put in a 9# recoil spring, then ran to the range to test. Used my reloads; 125 grn Blue Bullets @ 1.14 OAL with 3.1 grns of Ramshot Comp... a load I currently use in my 9mm SPS Pantera with great success. But with the DVC, I only got to the "succ"... shooting from a rest, groups were 6" or so at 20 yds. with a random bullseye.

Wondering if anyone has an update on this topic, and or a suggested load. Upon reviewing this tread, I'm going to go build up the same load using Berry's 124 grn bullets and see what I get.

I had a similar issue when I built my open gun. Like said in a previous post it may like long loads. I was loading at 1.145 like I did for my steelmaster and was getting 6" groups at 35 feet. Brought it out to 1.168 and it tightened up the groups to around 1.5-2"

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

On 8/30/2017 at 11:27 AM, Brewski said:

A new gun that will not group across a range of loads - any loads, hand and factory, while those loads shoot fine in other guns makes me think the gun is the issue. Give STI a call - not every gun leaves them 100% functional. 

I have to agree what Brewski said, I picked up a new Dan Wesson a few weeks ago. and i am working on different loads for my shadow 2, shadow 2 is sort of fussy on loads, but those loads are set to chamber in the PM9, they all shoot good, gun will shoot anything so far and VERY accurate.

chet

10 hours ago, superdude said:

Did you ever get around to trying jacketed bullets? 

Yes sir I did. I tried all kinds in .355 to .357 in weight ranges from 110 grains to 147 grains and never found anything I thought was acceptable. Some were better than others but none of them were great. 

43 minutes ago, 450AK said:

Yes sir I did. I tried all kinds in .355 to .357 in weight ranges from 110 grains to 147 grains and never found anything I thought was acceptable. Some were better than others but none of them were great. 

Interesting. Thanks. 

Update: I ran the Berry's BB's as I mentioned above; at the same load (1.14 OAL with 3.1 grns of Ramshot Comp) from a rest and am pleased to report a marked improvement - well into 2.5" groups at 25 yds and tighter up close, apparently this DVC-L likes the plated bullets. Still not a tack driver yet, but I'm encouraged to do some chrono work and see if I can dial it in.

I'm curious "jcc7x7" about checking the crown on the barrel... Not sure what I'm supposed to look for... Can you elaborate?