Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G22 To 9mm Conversion

NelsoninMA

I have a G 22 all done up for limited.I would like to be able to shoot 9mm through it also.What is the best way to do so?Can I buy a conversion barrel,extractor and ejector and be done or will I have so get a new slide also?Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

I use a cheap, $69, Federal 9mm conversion barrel in my G35 for low cost practice. I have not changed a thing except the mags. I think I have had one FTF in 4000-5000 rounds.

Sometime you have to change the ejector. If you buy a conversion barrel you do not have to change the slide. The od of the barrel will be of the appropriate size to fit you forty slide. I think its fifteen or twenty thousandths larger. Some of the conversions I've seen work without any mods..

But what about the breechface of the slide? Isn't it wider because of the 40 compared to the breechface of the 9mm slides? I would think that would make a difference especially with extraction and ejection?

For the cost of replacing the top end, you can almost buy another gun for an additional $80.

I was at the range with my G35 talking to a friend who said he had converted his G35 to 9mm by just changing the barrel. Said he hasn't had any problems with it. I also thought the .40 breechface would cause a problem but I think I'm going to try it. Especially, since I don't like shooting major loads out of it.

There is only a half a millimeter difference on each side between the 9 and the 40. The extractor tensions against the rim of the case. The round is held centered long enough by the chamber for it to extract. Sometimes people have problems with the .40 ejector and the consistency of the eject.

I've tried every possible combination of extractor, ejector and spring combo. I am currently shooting a modified extractor and extended ejector in my conversion. I increased the extractor engagement and tension and it works great. Before when I put a 9mm case on the .40 breechface it would just fall off. With the barrel on it it would stay on long enough for it to eject. Now with my modified extractor it holds the casing on the breechface by itsself.. I will try and post a pic.....

Yeah, but being a GM shooter and shooting custom 1911's for 10 years, half a millimeter in custom guns is a helluva a difference and one that can not be overlooked and gone ahead with. That's OK, I'd rather spend the extra few dollars and know I have the right combination to work. I'm glad that you got yours to work without it though.

No prob, you can never have too many guns.

BerKim,

I've seen these Federal barrels on Glock Talk classifieds for gun parts (not complete guns).

I've got an EFK Firedragon 9mm conversion barrel for my G35 (got the whole package off this forum). I only dropped in the conversion barrel and 9mm mags and it functioned flawlessley in the limited amount that I used it.

I ordered a Storm Lake conversion barrel,an extractor and ejector from Top Glock last night. all for about $125.I'll post again when I get it and let you know how I make out with the set up.Thanks you all for the info.

I got my barrel from Brownells. I think they have dropped that line. They replaced it with Storm Lake ($115). If you want to increase the extractor tension replace the white bearing with the black one.

Someone sells the Federal barrels on GT for about the same price. They are actually pretty good barrels. I had to adjust the barrel fit in my G35 as the bullet was hitting too high on the target. IMO the KKM and Barsto barrels are certainly not worth over twice the cost.

Yeah, but being a GM shooter and shooting custom 1911's for 10 years, half a millimeter in custom guns is a helluva a difference and one that can not be overlooked and gone ahead with. That's OK, I'd rather spend the extra few dollars and know I have the right combination to work. I'm glad that you got yours to work without it though.

No prob, you can never have too many guns.

I would have much preferred to get a g34 or g17 but to just try there is a big difference in $120 and $550-600....

• 3 months later...

Its not really a bearing... Thats just what they call it... When you remove the slide cover plate from the back that little nylon tapered rod with a ball on the end is the bearing... It is about a quarter inch long and it rides inside the extractor spring.....