Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Remington 700 Police 26' .308 Set-up

S&W686

I am looking at getting into long distance shooting and have this set-up on the way. In doing my research I found that some people use bed their scope mount. I spoke to a local gunsmith about bedding my mount that has done some 1911 work for me and he said he would not recommend bedding the scope mount. He did not think it was necessary. I have view several Youtube videos on bedding a scope mount and feel I should have not problem doing it myself. How do you all feel about bedding your scope mount. I would like your feedback. Thanks

My Rifle Set-Up:

Remington 700 Police 26' .308

Vortex Viper HS-T 4-16x44 VMR-1 MOA Riflescope

NightForce Direct Mount for Remington 700 Short Action .885 Low - 20 MOA - 30mm Tube

Kahntrol Solutions Clamp on Muzzle

I am looking at getting into long distance shooting and have this set-up on the way. In doing my research I found that some people use bed their scope mount. I spoke to a local gunsmith about bedding my mount that has done some 1911 work for me and he said he would not recommend bedding the scope mount. He did not think it was necessary. I have view several Youtube videos on bedding a scope mount and feel I should have not problem doing it myself. How do you all feel about bedding your scope mount. I would like your feedback. Thanks

My Rifle Set-Up:

NightForce Direct Mount for Remington 700 Short Action .885 Low - 20 MOA - 30mm Tube

You will find bedding your scope mount will do absolutely nothing for you... don't waste a bunch on time on ancillary stuff... Like gluing your scope into the rings with some special 3M unicorn horn repair glue.. just get out there and shoot your gun.

I've been running 175gr Nosler CC's with IMR4064 for years in my Remington 700 Police 26"....I found with the long barrel you get some solid burn time, pushing a 155.5gr Berger Full Bore with H4350 will get you a lot flatter trajectory, and speed is king at distance... which is why near everyone runs a .260rem or 6.5creedmore now.

Anyway start saving money... just my honest advice. If you find yourself really enjoying long distance shooting, and eventually get into some kind of match your going to want a very expensive custom specific build gun with some even more expensive glass later anyway... PRS is growing like crazy, fun sport. Google precision rifle series or PRS blog, and you'll be forking out a credit card faster than you can say "sorry honey we can't afford that new car you wanted..."

I bedded my last one. There was a gap between the base and the rear bridge/action. Sure i could have tightened the screws down and bent the base until it touched the action, but this way I know it's not putting stress on the action. Nevermind the scope.

I still do not have the rifle or the base, but they both should be here next week. Before I make any decision on the mount I will take a good look at the fit. I will update during the week.

My Rifle Set-Up:

Isn't the 26 foot barrel a bit long? :D

I prefer to bed mine. It really doesn't take that long. Save it for a rainy day and you want to do something. Go ahead and bed it, and remove one of the variables that could haunt you later. One word of caution! Do NOT get bedding compound in your threaded holes! My old rifle was "professionally" built by a well known smith, (I'm not sure if he is even still alive due to his age), but when I went to change out my bases and put a rail on, those screws snapped like toothpicks. It took me helping a very accomplished machinist to get those things out. Many Thanks to Jeff A.! I think the smith bedded it and put it together so that it would never come loose or apart.

Instead of that Muzzle Brake, remove the butt pad and mix lead shot and 5 minute epoxy and fill the cavity in the stock, then add a grind to fit LimbSaver, the clamp on MB is a bad idea all together

Here is the finish product. I broke the rifle in yesterday and sighted it in at 200 yards. I put the muzzle brake on today and will go to the range Monday. I will let you know if there is a difference in recoil with the muzzle brake. I the future I may have the barrel threaded for a screw on muzzle brake or suppressor. The Nightforce Scope mount fit perfectly so I did not have to do any bedding of the mount.

16h3uo0.jpg