Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First Time Shooting Limited

jimmy1256

So, I've been shooting USPSA, IDPA, ICORE, and other games for the past 2 years. Got back to competing after a 20 year break to run my own business. Won't do that again, but, that's another story. Anyway last weekend I started shooting LIMITED class using the Sig P320 in 40S&W feed by 3 Springer Precision base pad equipped factory mags for a 17 round capacity.

So, I'm getting ready to step up to the line and I load my mags, the 3 17 rounders and a stock 14 rounder that I thought I may need as a Barney. Mistake #1 - I have 4 mag pouches on my belt so why not use them? I put the Barney in the rear most position (never hurts to have extra ammo on the belt, right?) "Make Ready" "Shooter Ready?" "Stand By" BEEP I start shooting, getting good hits and moving pretty fast (well for me anyway). Shooting along using up 16 rounds and get to my planned reload target. Mistake #2 - Hit the mag release, reach back and grab a magazine and through it into the gun, and get back to shooting. (something didn't feel right on that reload) After shooting a bunch of rounds the slide locked back. What? I should have at least 4 or 5 shots left! No time to think about it now, just reload and finish the stage. So I do. After it's all over I look at what I did. Not a bad time and good hits. But what happened during the reload to mess up the round count? You probably already know. (grabbed the Barney instead of one of the large mags) So, on to the next stage. Mistake #3 - Moved the Barney from the rear position to the front position on the belt. (I'll never grab the front mag under stress) But, that's exactly what I did on the next stage. Mistake #4 - To make matters worse I felt what mag I grabbed and made yet another mental error by re-stowing it and grabbing the mag I wanted. What a wast of time.

Still finished OK but would have been a lot faster without the screw ups. (4 or 5 on the first two stages of the match)

Lesson learned, put the Barney in the back pocket where I can still get it if it's needed but stays out of the way when I don't. Just another day of learning what not to do at a match.

Hope my experience helps someone out there. Your welcome. Jim

I don't think there is that much of a disadvantage running a 17 rnd mag, except for maybe a 20-21 round stand and shoot stage. Field courses normally have lots of places to reload while moving. I use 20 rnd mags for Limited matches in the CONUS, and sometimes I'll reload after half a mag or so, depending on the target layout. Even with 20 round mags I've occasionally reloaded twice for insurance on a stage with long distance steel.

I'll take a 17 round mag anyday over the 10 rounders we're stuck with in Hawaii..