Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sound

robertg5322

Question: What is about a gun that gives it that metalic "tink" sound when you drop the hammer vs. the sort of muffled "snap" sound?

I have four 1911 guns and the only one that makes the "tink" sound is a loose, rattly 9mm Springfield Armory.

All have quality internals, all have forged slides and frames with one exception, a Caspian High Cap (cast frame). Calibers range from 9mm, .40 S&W and .45 ACP.

Caspian High Cap, Les Baer .45 and Kimber converted to .40 S&W wth STI slide and Kart barrel make the "snap" sound. None are exceedingly tight in the slide to frame fit, but also none are loose besides the Springfield either.

All are lubed with Slide Glide and oil.

I've listened from the shooter's perspective as well as the RO perspective, no difference.

I realize this isn't anything functional or critical, and truth be told, it doesn't even really bother me (though given a choice, I'd opt for the "tink" sound) but I am curious. I see guns at matches and it's probably about 75%/25% (for the nicer guns) in favor of the "tink" sound. I've seen Trojans with both, high end custom Limited and Open guns with both sounds and low end guns with both. I've looked for a common link and found nothing.

Kind of a long rant for something I don't really care that much about, no?

All have Cylinder and Slide ignition kits except the Kimber, which has an EGW hammer and sear.

True dat, important sound is the bang when expecting a bang and click when expecting a click.

All are either "tink" or "snap" guns.

I did notice that there was no change in the Kimber when I switched out the original, 15 year old internals to the bar-stock parts last year. Same for the Springfield when I switched out its internals to Cylinder & Slide parts, so I am thinking it's not the internals, at least not the ignition parts anyway.

Edited by robertg5322

Shape and material the hammer is made out of as well as spring rates. I suppose the firing pin and firing pin spring could play into it as well.

I have 2 2011s, a DVC Limited and a Tactical DS with EGW internals. The Tactical hammer makes a much higher pitched sound when dry fired vs. the DVC.

Edited by CaptainOverkill

Hello: It has to do with how easily the mainspring moves in the mainspring housing is the best that I can think of. No binding at all then you get a quicker hammer drop. It is also true that some hammers do give a ring to them as well. Thanks, Eric

Sound resonance comes from the hammer style and material it's made from. Easy way to think about it is hitting something that's hollow versus solid.

I think what it (the hammer) is hitting is going to affect the sound.

All 4 of my guns have Cylinder & Slide (3) or EGW (1) hammers and it's one of the C&S guns that makes the "tink" sound.

All MSH are good fits, not too tight or loose. 17 lb Mainsprings, EGW and Wilson Combat MSH/magwells.