Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wtf! When Did Colts Get Expensive?

dirtypool40

So I am trying to buy an XSE LW Commander for a base gun. I used to see them all over the place for $675.

Now they are $875 IF you can even find them!!!

What happened!?!?!?

Does anyone know of a cheaper stock of Colt's or have a good used one? I DO NOT want the ugly Novak knock off ski jump sites. I want the latest version, little chip sites, and unmodified.

Any ideas?

Also; Why doesn't SA make a LW commander style gun anymore?

Actually, while I won't argue the labor cost aspect, Colts went up quite a bit a few years ago when they started trying to compete with Kimber etc; they started turning out the XS and XSE series, which are in general a MUCH better product feature, fit and finish wise than their prior models.... I had an XSE LW Commander, and it was very well fit, accurate.... as nice as any comparable production gun..... but I got mine used :D the retail cost new is kinda high. But nice guns.

Only thing I changed was added some slim grips.

(I'm not normally much of a Colt fan for what its worth, but the XSE is worth a look if you can get a deal on one)

As far as their current website seems to imply they do not want to sell you anything unless you are law enforcemnt or military. Screw them. Buy a Springfield. Cheaper, and based on the guns I've handled, higher quality plus they actually do want to sell you a gun.

Yup it has me pissed, and I WISH SA would make a LW comander so I could start with one of those.

I want something with little nub sites so the GS can fit some heinie's, so no Novak's or Kimbers.

I had an older Colt, enhanced bought, but it failed inspection.

I guess I keep looking and wishing Colt would get off their dead ass.

As far as their current website seems to imply they do not want to sell you anything unless you are law enforcemnt or military. Screw them. Buy a Springfield. Cheaper, and based on the guns I've handled, higher quality plus they actually do want to sell you a gun.

Their new civilian site is coltsmfg.com. Of course there’s no link or even mention of it at colt.com.

Ed

Yup it has me pissed, and I WISH SA would make a LW comander so I could start with one of those.

Why dont you call them? They do make a LW 5" gun and their online catalog is not always right. They might very well make what you need.

Why dont you call them? They do make a LW 5" gun and their online catalog is not always right. They might very well make what you need.

In fact check this out: The custom shop offers the PC9102 Custom Carry in many sizes and frames.

yup, and I found nice "loaded" LW Champ on Gunsamerica, but it already has Novak's and it's....OD Green. I'm just not THAT tactical.

I want a base gun for Derek at Millenium to build up.

Hmmmm, on closer inpsection that custom carry does look pretty sexy. Anyone have exp w/ the Springfield custom shop? Vs. a high end true custom like from MC2.

I actually had the parts for a LWC, Les Baer FORGED alloy frame and Caspian slide, but back a couple years ago when I got broke I sold them to Ross Carter.

Might consider that option again, but, I've been warned off about Caspian cast alloy frames. The phrase used was "about like hard cheddar cheese".

• 1 month later...
I found one and the guys sold it. Now I've found a second one, a little cheaper even and we'll see if it's there for pick up when I get home next week.

The latest iteration of the XSE has just about all the bells and whistles, except a true beavertail. Recent production has Novak knock-off rear (NOT the proprietary Colt Competition rear sight found on the XS), dovetail front, ambi safety, front serrations, etc. If you still want a XSE with G.I. dovetail rear, staked front, etc., then you want an early '05 or earlier gun.