Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

NewB Stippling

Dberm118

Hey all!

I need some honest opinions and Constructive Criticism.

So BE HONEST haha.

Here is my first crack at stippling. Decided to give it a whirl on my 870 stock as the OEM one leaves a lot to be desired as far as grip and comfort is concerned.

Now i did play with stippling on my 1:1 scale m&p CO2 pistol before the 870 stock.

I want honest feedback on how it looks and what not as i intend to do some stippling on my XD9. However i don't want to do a bad job or ruin my frame.

Let me have it!

post-64372-0-54704400-1468818590_thumb.j

post-64372-0-86361600-1468818604_thumb.j

Thanks guys. I plan to keep plugging at stuff here and there before I ruin my pistol.

I am actually really happy and pleased with how the stock came out and feels in the hand.

M8stealth this was using a chizzle point with a very small flat.

I have been doing grips for many, many years. My grips has been in the winners circle, from a World Championship, down through National title, Area , and State titles. You have made the first step, and you have done very well. Play with the design, how course you would like and settle on it. Stay with it and it will get easier and you will also cut your times down.

Keep up the good work,

Tommy Roupe

THR Technologies/Roupe Grips

That looks pretty cool. There's probably an easy way to blend that seam above the grip panel. Troupe is right. I can do grips about 3 times faster after my 6th or 7th one. That includes grinding, undercutting, etc. Keep it up! I dig whatever tool you used for that pattern.

Well i bit the bullet and decided to start dremeling my xd. I did a little bit of an undercut under the triggerguard and got rid of the stock texture. I proceeded to stipple the whole grip. Here it is!!! Let me know what you all think!!

I broke down and did it before the matchmasters 3-gun in AZ this sunday! i went out this morning (it was 110 here) and it felt absolutely awesome in the hand and the grip shaping and undercut helped the comfort significantly.

post-64372-0-87773700-1469590646_thumb.j

post-64372-0-32317400-1469590658_thumb.j

post-64372-0-88625400-1469590669_thumb.j

I remember my first grip, a little scary knowing that if you messed it up it would cost you money. You are doing fine. One little tip that I have given out over the years is used a old magazine with some tape on the sides and front, not a lot of tape, but enough to use the mag as a heat sink. Don't forget to remove the mag catch if you tape the mag, make removing it much easier with the tape. There has been a lot of grips destroyed by new stipplers because of heat distortion.

Tommy Roupe

THR Technologies/Roupe Grips

I want to try stippling some of my stuff. Can anyone recommend an inexpensive surface to practice on? Just buy a big sheet of Kydex on Amazon? Or maybe buy a couple PMAGs - might as well get something useful out of it, right?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Schultztec!!

Ran the pistol at Matchmasters on the 7th and it felt awesome!! The 870 will probably be up for sale as I just dropped coin on a JM Pro.

once I get it and run it a little and decide what fits me i'll probably put the iron to it as well.