Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Match Types

jschweg

I've been shooting and reloading for years, but I really want to get involved in competiton.

I've been reading and understand the main differences between IDPA and USPSA, and for me, USPSA seems like it would be more attractive. While IDPA seems cool and all, it seems a little bit too tactical, I dunno.

Anyway, regardless USPSA doesn't seem to have any matches in my general area unless I'm looking in the wrong place (southern NY outside NYC), and it seems like the only thing local to me is PPC.

After reading a little, it seems that PPC is closer in kin to IDPA?

If anyone can elaborate on what the PPC feel is and maybe give me some advice on how to find matches that would be great.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Edited by jschweg

You mean USPSA?

Are any of these near enough? http://www.uspsa-ne.org/clubs.html

As I understand PPC, it is a very different thing from IPSC, USPSA and IDPA. Not worse but different.

I think PPC has fixed precision oriented courses that are repeated every time - and those others are only limited by safety and the imagination of the course designer for the day.

edit:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=200502

Edited by perttime

You mean USPSA?

Are any of these near enough? http://www.uspsa-ne.org/clubs.html

As I understand PPC, it is a very different thing from IPSC, USPSA and IDPA. Not worse but different.

I think PPC has fixed precision oriented courses that are repeated every time - and those others are only limited by safety and the imagination of the course designer for the day.

edit:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=200502

Yes, that's what I meant lol. For some reason I spell that out wrong, and a different way of wrong every time I write it. Those ones in CT aren't super far, but at least 2 hours. This is something I want to do regularly, so was hoping for something a little closer, but I suppose beggers can't be choosers.

I used to shoot in NJ. We often had people come down from NY and CT for the matches. Depending where you are in NY, there are a few USPSA matches in northern and central NJ that might not be too far.

I used to live in NJ and southern NY ...

The best shooting for you is going to be Albany

and a few places in Pennsylvania.

Check out www.uspsa.org.

DCPA in Poughkeepsie might still have a few matches a year -

they used to be very good with monthly matches, seasonal.

I suggest (IMHO) that you stay out of NJ - and SI is a boro

of NYC - suggest you avoid that also. Just my 2 cents worth.

Albany has some nice matches. :)

Old bridge rifle and Pistol club has great matches. If you have never shot a match before I would suggest starting with steel challenge or knock down steel. After you are comfortable with those types of matches get into USPSA. Old Bridge has all of these matches as well as the occasional 3 gun. They also have real deal steel witch is also steel challenge.

For their USPSA, 3 gun and carbine matches, Google obcats uspsa. For knock down and real deal steel Google old bridge knock down steel. For the regular site with the calendar Google OBRPC.

There are lots of other good clubs up there with good matches too but I'm not to sure of their exact names.

A good forum that runs just like this one is New Jersey Gun Forum. There are lots of guys from Norf Josey that know all the clubs and matches in that area.

Old bridge rifle and Pistol club has great matches. If you have never shot a match before I would suggest starting with steel challenge or knock down steel. After you are comfortable with those types of matches get into USPSA. Old Bridge has all of these matches as well as the occasional 3 gun. They also have real deal steel witch is also steel challenge.

For their USPSA, 3 gun and carbine matches, Google obcats uspsa. For knock down and real deal steel Google old bridge knock down steel. For the regular site with the calendar Google OBRPC.

There are lots of other good clubs up there with good matches too but I'm not to sure of their exact names.

A good forum that runs just like this one is New Jersey Gun Forum. There are lots of guys from Norf Josey that know all the clubs and matches in that area.

That's good to know. I'm very familiar with old Bridge, spent many days down at the drag strip in the good old days.