Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gun Buy Back ... Need Input

Kyreb

Ever kick your behind for selling a good gun?

Ran into an old friend last week. I had sold him my match grade 1911 some years back when I went hi-cap .40 for IPSC. As with all gun sales, I regretted it later. I told him to let me know if he ever wanted to sell it. I just got a e mail advising he wants a new Glock, will sell the .45 back to me.

Problem is, niether of us remembers what the price was. To complicate things, additional ammo and equipment were involved in the sale. He is not a big gun guy, wants me to set a price.

I need to make him an offer, a fair offer, for the piece. I want to buy and give it to my son as this was his first IPSC gun. So there is some sentimental value here too. Give me your thoughts....

The 1911 is a 70 series, hard chrome frame, blue slide. I bought it used from another competitor in the mid-80s. It was in a Wilson "LE" comp gun configuration (to any old IPSC types out there.) It has a great trigger and a Wilson ramped barrel. Wilson internal parts and Swenson amidexterious safety. I do not know if Wilson actually built it or not. When they did custom builds, they did not track guns by serial number. It is a real shooter though.

When single stack comp guns became obsolete, I had a good local pistol smith cut the comp off and install a S&A mag well. It made a dandy 5" piece. Looks like a Wilson CQB prototype.

So it is used but not abused, I would guess maybe 20,000 rounds max. It has not had more than 2000 rounds through it since I sold it. Still a solid gun.

I am thinking $500.00 range....

Hmmmm..... I have no idea what it might be worth... But, @ $500-ish, you're in the range of the Glock he wants, anyhow. How about enough to buy the new tupperware - effectively, a trade....??? You both get what you want that way - and, I suspect that the 1911 is worth a little bit more than that, but...

Like they said. Buy it back for the price of the Glock.

As with all gun sales, I regretted it later.

This is why I cannot make up my mind if I should sell a couple of handguns I have sitting in the safe for years. I have a Beretta 92FS in Stainless Steel, Made in Italy with original packaging, papers, case, brush and the 2 high-cap mags. Hardly used it and not produced in Italy anymore. The other is a Sig Sauer P226, Made in W. Germany with all the original packaging, case and 3 high-cap mags. For years I've been thinking of selling them for a race gun but can never find it in my heart to let them go. Because like you said, I will surely regret it somehow. BUT THEY'RE JUST SITTING IN THE SAFE! :huh:

$500 sounds about right under the circumstances. I have guns in the safe I think I should sell to pay for other shooting projects. It has been my experience however I regret every gun I used to have not being in there with them.... :huh:

Well, I cut the deal. It will be delivered Tuesday.

Wound up giving $600 but got 4 Wilson mags and a good leather holster in the deal. Both parties are happy! :)

Well, I cut the deal.  It will be delivered Tuesday.

Wound up giving $600 but got 4 Wilson mags and a good leather holster in the deal.  Both parties are happy! :)

a good deal is a good deal.

i rarely trade or sale guns. but i do keep up with what i paid for or sold the guns for. i do this in case one gets stolen and to keep up with my net worth in guns. :lol:

lynn

Edited by lynn jones

Every time I see the title of this thread it freaks me out....

I live in CA. "Gun" and "buyback" in the same sentence is frightening.

Glad you got your heater back! It was on sabbatical.

I have had my own little buy back program going for several months now. I had to liquidate several nice pieces when wife was "downsized" and we put her back through college about 5 years ago.

I still need to track down my "Dirty Harry" 6 in bbl model 29 and the program is finished. Still very happy I got this one back. This was my 2nd IPSC gun. I was able to buy back my 1st IPSC gun, a Springfield .45 last year.