Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Standard deviation target

Bullets

Im at 10.18 right now. What are things that effect the sd? Bullet weight variances? Usind xtreme. Mixed brass? Using mostly fc and speer. Uneven charge weight? Make sure it stays under.1 every drop. Anything else? Crimp? Im crimped to .376 outside diameter at case mouth. Oal? im getting about .04 variance.

In my experience all of the following play a big part in it:

Lube cases.

Sort by head stamp.

Consistent operation of the press.

Stopping the press to keep measuring powder drop, oak, crimp etc skews all of those readings

In my experience all of the following play a big part in it:

Lube cases.

Sort by head stamp.

Consistent operation of the press.

Stopping the press to keep measuring powder drop, oak, crimp etc skews all of those readings

I'd also add that the type of powder can be significant, I see much lower standard deviations with certain powders over other powders (all else being equal).

You should be looking at ES and SD when you evaluate a load, especially for rifle. You can have a low ES and a high SD; that an indication that you did, or there was something inconsistent in that high or low round and you can work to identify and eliminate that variable. It could we sorting out xxx brand of pistol case or weighing rifle cases to find that one light or heavy case.

• 2 weeks later...

If that is accurate at 25yd and it makes power factor comfortably (2 X S.D. for safety at major matches = roughly 20 fps above the minimum for PF over a chrono) ... run with it.

However. If you just feel like tinkering...

First thing I look at is OAL. Take a caliper to your rounds and see how much they vary. If I target 1.130" I often see 1.1.27"-1.135" come out of my 650 with mixed headstamps.

You can load all of your test ammo in matching headstamps cases to further increase consistency - it'll shrink your OAL variation and also remove changes in volume due to different wall thicknesses. If you get a good SD with that, but it opens up with mixed brass, then you know your powder measure and handle-rowing technique are doing their job. Keep using mixed brass with confidence at local matches, and if you decide you care, go with a single headstamp at majors.

(Most of us production shooters don't bother. I switch to Federal primers for majors instead of my usual CCIs, and keep rocking mixed brass)

Edited by MemphisMechanic

SD is not the end all for me. I have had some loads that were single digit but were less accurate than another load that may vary much more.

Of course you would still want your load to always make power factor year round, a lot more important for pistol matched than SD.