Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9 Major - primer flow, flattened

Fred63

Got to the range today to test some loads.

Gun is CZ Czechmate, Berry 124gn RN plated OAL 1.160, WAC, started with Federal SPP but changed to Magtech SPP at 6.6gn. Strings of 10.

5.6gn -- Av 1179 fps -- 146 pf

5.8gn -- Av 1207 fps -- 150 pf

6.0gn -- Av 1243 fps -- 154 pf

6.2gn -- Av 1281 fps -- 159 pf

6.4gn -- Av 1313 fps -- 163 pf

6.6gn -- Av 1351 fps -- 168 pf

6.8gn -- Av 1380 fps -- 171 pf

7.0gn -- Av 1407 fps -- 174 pf Some deviation, the odd low reading but none excessively high, probably due to my poor technique.

Very happy with nice linear progression and although I have no experience with comp guns I think I get why you go well above pf, it is more violent but in a shorter sharper way which feels better/quicker.

And now to some issues I have,

Primer flattening and flow-

I started with Fed SPP , I believe these are soft but changed to Magtech SPP at 6.6gn as I knew pressure

was increasing. I don't know how hard they rate. I have taken pic's and I would appreciate the opinions of those of you who shoot major. These loads seem pretty typical of what is to be expected over a chrono and if using harder primers/ SRP may look fine. If so which primers do you recommend or does this look wrong and I have a problem?

Also I know Berrys plated are only rated to 1250fps but have read a lot use them fast with no issues, do any of you have first hand knowledge of this? I only fired 120 and no fouling or stray copper in comp, good round holes in target.

post-64103-0-51169900-1466934523_thumb.jpost-64103-0-83885500-1466934557_thumb.j

Save those precious Fed SPP for something else. I use FED SRP for my loads and they work perfect with gust a barely visible break on the rounded edge. But I also tried some CCI SPP and since they are fairly hard they are just a smidge flatter but still just fine.

You can try the mag tech and see how they look but many of us run SRP of one brand or another just to avoid any issues.

Yep, Open guns generally perform much better when you run them in the mid to upper 170's PF.

Federal SPP are the softest available which is why Production shooters love them so much, Winchester and CCI are a little harder.

Before you buy a boatload of plated bullets for Open try shooting them at 25 yards side by side with jacketed, that's when I made the switch ;)

Also, give 115s a try.

Edited by kneelingatlas

Federal SPP are the softest available which is why Production shooters love them so much, Winchester and CCI are a little harder.

Before you buy a boatload of plated bullets for Open try shooting them at 25 yards side by side with jacketed, that's when I made the switch ;)

Also, give 115s a try.

Indeed. I still remember doing load development/ bullet testing years ago and only checked them at close range. My dumb a$$ shot them all of one season and I was having a bunch of D and mikes on mid to far targets. I was shooting really poorly but just figured I sucked or needed to slow down. Then one day I benched the pistol on a 25 yard target. Looked like I shot it with 00 Buck. Now I use a 25 yard target as an aiming point when I chrono just so I never get sucked in again. I too find that ANY jacketed bullet or even a coated BBI is much more accurate than a certain plated bullet. By a pretty wide margin.

I had a similar eureka moment: I approach a stage with a 20 yard long shooting box and think "I've got a dot, so I'll just draw and shoot"; the 35 yard targets were Charlie/Mike and Delta/Mike!

I went to the range and shot plated next to MG JHP at 25 yards, needless to say I haven't gone back :)

I would do another vote for 115s, and I would also tell you to not use rifle primers, as they can mask pressure signs that you would otherwise see. Just because you are covering up the pressure signs doesn't mean they aren't there.

I would additionally tell you to shoot slower powder. But that is an argument a lot of people will disagree with me on.

Is WAC slower than HS6?

I made major with a 125 Blackmaxx @1.165 with 7.6gr HS-6 and CCI Spp. No flattening or flow. But I hear CCI spp are a little harder. Never used anything but CCI

HS6 is significantly slower than auto comp/CFE pistol in mine and other's experience. I would probably use Power Pistol before I used auto comp, PP has proven slower for me than AC/CFE.

And it is fun to shoot in the dark.

So those primers look ok?

120gr mln IPSC

Can not get jacketed projectiles without going to $38.00/100 eg Hornaday etc and can't find any coated with a profile similar to Berrys that I can load anywhere near 1.160.

Testing was done with SPP and if pressures don't look excessive I may substitute srp as others seeing my brass wouldn't understand.

If srp I believe they contain same compound just thicker cup so retesting should not be necessary ?

I didn't see you were not in the states, my mistake. Is there no distributor of precision delta, Montana gold, or Zero in Australia? PD makes a 124, MG makes both a 124 and a 121, and zero makes a 125. But if you can't get yhose, then plated might be your only option.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

So those primers look ok?

120gr mln IPSC

Can not get jacketed projectiles without going to $38.00/100 eg Hornaday etc and can't find any coated with a profile similar to Berrys that I can load anywhere near 1.160.

Testing was done with SPP and if pressures don't look excessive I may substitute srp as others seeing my brass wouldn't understand.

If srp I believe they contain same compound just thicker cup so retesting should not be necessary ?

Fred,

I have had good results with Frontier bullets. Are they available in Oz?

I would do another vote for 115s, and I would also tell you to not use rifle primers, as they can mask pressure signs that you would otherwise see. Just because you are covering up the pressure signs doesn't mean they aren't there.

I would additionally tell you to shoot slower powder. But that is an argument a lot of people will disagree with me on.

There is no way to avoid over pressure to some extent in 9 MAJOR. SRP just keeps pressure from damaging primers which can cause functionality problems such as stuck firing pins etc.

On a side note I just didn't see much difference in HS6 and WAC.

There is no way to avoid over pressure to some extent in 9 MAJOR. SRP just keeps pressure from damaging primers which can cause functionality problems such as stuck firing pins etc.

Yea that is true, I have definitely considered using SRP now that I have a load figured out and am not worried about the pressure so much. But I like having the ability to check my primers during practice or whatever, just to make sure nothing has changed.

How much Autocomp are you loading, it is significantly faster for me. like 1.5 grains or something.

Yea that is true, I have definitely considered using SRP now that I have a load figured out and am not worried about the pressure so much. But I like having the ability to check my primers during practice or whatever, just to make sure nothing has changed.

How much Autocomp are you loading, it is significantly faster for me. like 1.5 grains or something.

7.8 with MG 115JHP@1.165