Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

NERD Holster Review?

• 2 weeks later...

Not the 2011 specifically. Mine is Glock. I love it though. I use it for USPSA and 3-gun. Super fast, and good retention. The Invictus hanger is great too. I have it on a QLS.

Thanks! I ordered one for a 2011 so I guess I'll post my experience with it based off no one else responding.

I had a squadmate at Warsport running that holster, and I believe it was for a 2011. He was quite happy with it, emphasizing how well it retained while still allowing fast, crisp draws.

Just picked one up for a 2011. Will know soon! I like the way its built and the hanger is great. So far for dry fire it is a nice holster.

I ended up buying one and have run it for a week now. I really like it. Running it at a major match this weekend so I will have a good review after that.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone played with both the NERD and the LAG Super Nova?  They both look similar and I have seen the LAG in person but wondering if the NERD is worth the extra cost if I really don't care for the Invictus Hanger?

• 2 weeks later...
On September 3, 2016 at 10:02 PM, AZGunut said:

Has anyone played with both the NERD and the LAG Super Nova?  They both look similar and I have seen the LAG in person but wondering if the NERD is worth the extra cost if I really don't care for the Invictus Hanger?

I run the NERD and it is well worth it.

From what I gather the NERD is an improved version of the LAG model.

I haven't run the LAG but the Nerd is very fast and the more I use it the more I like it. I wouldn't hesitate to buy it and I like the Invictus hanger as well on a QLS fork

The NERD and nova share quite a bit. I've seen both in person. I prefer the NERD coupled with the IP hanger. It's fast, secure and sturdy. I know most think the money back guarantee is gimmicky, to me it shows confidence in a product. They stand behind what they believe in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As much as I want to like the concept, I can't run something without active retention in 3-Gun. I have seen a pistol bounce out of the NERD holster. It's the same feeling no matter the holster it comes out of and it sucks to end a match that way. Literally watching the pistol bounce right out is just something I can't un-see and the reason I'm sticking with my ALS. Watching a 6" 2011 bounce up to the tip in the holster, then back in, then back up to the tip and back in would be a close second in reasons I can't go without retention. If it was an inch shorter...

Draw time is such a small contribution to total match time in 3-Gun compared to USPSA even if retention adds 0.1 or 0.2 s to your draw to disengage, that's still worth it to me. $300 match in match fees and another couple hundred in hotel and travel plus time off work is just not worth the risk. Hell, not being able to shoot the whole match because my pistol ended up in the dirt would be worse than all of that! 

As much as I want to like the concept, I can't run something without active retention in 3-Gun. I have seen a pistol bounce out of the NERD holster. It's the same feeling no matter the holster it comes out of and it sucks to end a match that way. Literally watching the pistol bounce right out is just something I can't un-see and the reason I'm sticking with my ALS. Watching a 6" 2011 bounce up to the tip in the holster, then back in, then back up to the tip and back in would be a close second in reasons I can't go without retention. If it was an inch shorter...

Draw time is such a small contribution to total match time in 3-Gun compared to USPSA even if retention adds 0.1 or 0.2 s to your draw to disengage, that's still worth it to me. $300 match in match fees and another couple hundred in hotel and travel plus time off work is just not worth the risk. Hell, not being able to shoot the whole match because my pistol ended up in the dirt would be worse than all of that! 

I agree with you to a pretty far extent. I just could not get the ALS to work how I wanted t to for my 2011. Most likely user error.

However, if you use the tension knobs on the side of the NERD holster you can crank it down for stages that have a possibility of yanking the gun out. I used an ALS for a couple months but I am way more consistent and faster with the NERD.

No doubt the NERD is faster. I'll come clean and say I'm about 99% on my ALS draws being in the 1.0-1.2 s time to first shot range after a year of strict dry fire practice. I do muff draws but it's happening less and less the more I dry fire and practice. I'd probably be 0.1s faster with the NERD, no doubt it's easier to draw. 

Thing is, I forgot things. Like tensioning my pistol screw. Like the dude I saw. He admitted he completely forgot about it when making ready. NERD makes great stuff and if they had a hood on that holster instead of a screw I'd probably get one. Murphy is real though. We all have different levels of acceptable risk. 

No doubt the NERD is faster. I'll come clean and say I'm about 99% on my ALS draws being in the 1.0-1.2 s time to first shot range after a year of strict dry fire practice. I do muff draws but it's happening less and less the more I dry fire and practice. I'd probably be 0.1s faster with the NERD, no doubt it's easier to draw. 

Thing is, I forgot things. Like tensioning my pistol screw. Like the dude I saw. He admitted he completely forgot about it when making ready. NERD makes great stuff and if they had a hood on that holster instead of a screw I'd probably get one. Murphy is real though. We all have different levels of acceptable risk. 

For sure and good point. It's a good thing we have options and can use what works for us.

On 9/13/2016 at 9:16 PM, Darqusoull13 said:

Do you have the "nub mod" on your ALS?

I think they work well, and are well made. https://www.otdefense.com/

1)

I was the idiot who didn't tension my holster and I'm the only person on record to have one come out in a major. Figures.

2)

The LAG version is a 100% knock off of the 2nd Gen Pistol Coffin before is was called that. The version that was made by Ready Tac for the NST was the version copied and why the newer one made by VEIL Solutions looks different. 

It's not known or spoken but I felt it necessary to to clear the misconception. 

That's good to know. I figured y'all kept track of how many times it had happened. It does show the holster design works given there is only 1 instance of a pistol falling out, and that instance was due to the tension screw not being set. Thank you for letting the community know.

Since you did indicate the person was you, I wanted to say thank you for taking that DQ professionally. It reflected very well on you and NERD. 

When it's 100% your fault you have to man up and eat it. 

I basically waited till I was on deck to gather my stuff out of the rain. 

I recently shot a pistol match and took all the retention out and just neglected putting it back. A small oversight cost me the match. Lessons learned. 

On ‎2016‎/‎09‎/‎18 at 5:21 PM, 12Bravo said:

One came out in TX this year as well, so you aren't the only one.

I had my STI bounce out of my NERD at Ft. Benning last year jumping up over the wall. Lucky for me it was empty, just had to run back and grab it - gave the slide some scars.

• 2 months later...