Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hornady 147 JHP

XB40

I'm loading the Hornady 147 XTP over 3grs of titegroup for use in a Walther PPQ M2. The bullet ogives is different than the Zero 147 JHP I have been loading.. OAL on the zero is 1.13, works great. The Hornady will not plunk at any length over 1.095. Does anyone see a problem with the bullet being seated that deep in the case. This is just a paper puncher round that is confortable to shoot. I am using these bullets because then have a slight boat tail and the Dillion works well with no bulging. Got tired of fighting with the Bayou 147's and the bulge.

For my IDPA loads I've been loading 3.2gr of titegroup @ 1.1 OAL. Been working flawlessly in my P320. Just to be safe try reducing from 3.0gr down to 2.8-2.9gr with your OAL @ 1.095. But like @Edge40 said Hornady 9th Ed manual lists OAL @ 1.1 though they don't specifically show titegroup for the 147s.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Remember that published load data is a report of what the ballisticians did. It is NOT a recipe. It is NOT a recommendation. It is a report. It is up to the reloader to employ that report, adjusted for their own hardware and application.

So if you are going shorter than what the load data reports, you should anticipate a pressure increase. Do you need to reduce starting load before working up? For a .015 reduction from the load data, I wouldn't bother. You should definitely work up with a chrono, but no reason to reduce starting load. The published starting load will cover you.