Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Xtreme hpcb ok for major?

Bullets

Wondering if the heavy plated concave base bullets are ok for major. I have seen lots of people have issues with the standard xtreme rn tumbling and keyholing. Wondering if the hpcb bullets stop the tumbling issue.

Thanks

If you dig around on the xtreme website you will read they don't recommend standard xtremes at open velocities. Only the heavy plate and hollow points are rated for high velocity open loads

If you dig around on the xtreme website you will read they don't recommend standard xtremes at open velocities. Only the heavy plate and hollow points are rated for high velocity open loads

yes i have seen that but is that refering to the velocity or because they tumble?

yes i have seen that but is that refering to the velocity or because they tumble?
Probably both? The thin plating will shear away at near 1500fps probably. Once the plating is compromised there is no limit to what the bullet might do. I would assume tumbling could be expected.

In an open gun it wouldn't take much plating in a comp to produce radical bullet flight.

FWIW I have shot A FEW 124 HP and HPCB OVER1400 and they were nice clean holes

Probably both? The thin plating will shear away at near 1500fps probably. Once the plating is compromised there is no limit to what the bullet might do. I would assume tumbling could be expected.

In an open gun it wouldn't take much plating in a comp to produce radical bullet flight.

i stick to 124s since i shoot a shorty. I try to stay around 1375fps which is well under what they rate them at. Think they would still be getting damaged at that velocity?

i stick to 124s since i shoot a shorty. I try to stay around 1375fps which is well under what they rate them at. Think they would still be getting damaged at that velocity?
Personally I wouldn't think so. If you can see NO evidence of them hitting the comp, You might start pulling a few and check the crimp. If there is anything other than a very slight indentation in the plating back the crimp off and test again.

HPCB bullets work great in 9 major. Just remember, even the HPCB are sensitive to both under and over crimping. These are not jacketed bullets and they cannot be treated as such.

• 3 weeks later...

Pat, I saw your comment that the Xtreme 124's "held up well at Major velocity",

but were they as accurate as MG or Zero?

The answer to accuracy was in the article...that is why I write them...for my colleagues to read.

Did I compare them to other bullets? No, I did not. But sub 1" groups at 28 yards might be considered...ok?

Ever since Hugh Hefner, back in the 50's, I've LOVED pictures :)

I saw your lovely groups, but missed the distance they were shot at ... :(

Dude! You got the inference! Thanks!

Oh and 28 yards (normally 25 but I got lazy)