Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primer question

soundlzrd

Glocks leave a rectangular impression from the firing pin. I thought this was what's known as primer flow. I was concerned at first, but I see the same marks on factory ammo. My usual target loads are much softer than factory, so I don't worry about it anymore.

Black hand thank you! I was concerned because I had not seen it before.

Hi-power jack, I am not sure yet. Need to crono.

Grumpy, thanks. I uploaded the wrong photo. But I've not seen flattening and feared that's what I was starting to see

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your load is fine, all Glocks leave a mark like that. The primer is nice and round, not flat, you can read the head stamp. No worries

image37184.jpg

Wow. I've flattened out some primers but have never seen the head stamp get deleted like that!

Good pic!

The headstamp could also be from a piece of brass that has been reloaded a zillion times...after it goes through the tumbler so many times, the headstamp can and will rub off...i have seen 45 acp brass with no headstamp on it, not from over pressure, but because it had been reloaded a zillion times.

Another thing to watch out for with Glocks is making sure your primers aren't too soft or seated too high. Before I had my press dialed in and getting the primers to sit below flush, I'd see a pierced primer on occasion. The firing pin spring on Glocks is pretty stout, ensuring that all different kinds of rounds go off. But the rectangular dimple on the primer combined with an extra strong striker spring, and you could find erosion on your breech face.

Maybe avoid softer primers, like Federal, and make sure your primers are seated below flush to be on the safe side.