Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone play with the RO operator yet?

Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone has actually picked up an RO operator 9mm yet. I've been thinking about it a while, but like the RO compact I'm guessing the price Falls a bit once the newness wears off.

Anyway just wondering if anybody got one yet, and made it their dream SS gun or not.

Full rail in a 9mm may be heavy for single stack....

it's not a full rail, it's a half rail. I heard they are right on the edge of too heavy, but maybe some light grips or tri topping it will get you there. I read up on it, and I want one, but I don't have much in the way of real world reports to go off of.

I've got a Range Officer Operator 9mm good gun at a good price. I have not weighed it don't plan to shoot a match with it where the gun will be weighed. I just wanted it. I wrote what I thought was a pretty good range report and posted it on the 1911forum in the range report section. I played with the springs and got the trigger down to about 2.5lbs added some VZ grips and a S&A magwell. So far I'm very pleased with the pistol

Sorry to further complicate things but...talked to Dave Williams from the Springfield Custom shop when I was at SS Nationals and asked him specifically about whether the RO Operator in 9mm would make weight. He said "it should, it would be close, if you used a GI guide rod and light grips...it would"...so...the "official" answer is....maybe? Sorry!

Cheers623

DVC

• 2 weeks later...

I just got one. Had to send it back due to the slide hanging up on the disco right out of the box. Once returned it shoots really well. I am way more accurate with it than my STI Trojan for some reason. Especially the longer shots. Weird. Need to bench both side by side and see what the deal is. With VZ grips and a Brown magwell it shows over 43 oz by .2 I have a cheap scale so really could be close.

One thing I do not like is the slide seems sooooo slow in cycling. I swear it takes .5 to cycle but my splits are close to the Trojan. Its in my head I guess. Going to try a 11 lb recoil and 20 main to see if that helps.

Any advise on springs?

I picked one up to build a minor gun. It will make weight stock but it will be borderline if you change anything.

My plan is to Tri-top it for faster slide speed and less weight.

Then FLGR and dawson magwell along with a trigger job. The factory trigger is horrible in my opinion but I don't shoot anything with a factory trigger.....Ever.

• 3 months later...