Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

5 port comp sheuman barrel. should i put some holes in it?

Sandbagger123

my open gun in 9 major has a 5 port comp on a shuemann island barrel. the island is plain as in no holes. i wonder if there would be any improvement by adding some holes. are there any guidelines on how to determine if holes are good or not on a barrel? or is it a drill and see method?

If you want your pistol to shoot flatter here are my recommendations in order:

1. Switch to 115s

2. Switch to a slower powder like Vihtavuori 3N38

3. Start drilling holes (I recommend switching to jacketed bullets at the same time as I would expect coated bullets to clog the holes in short order). If you choose to drill holes I suggest you lay out four, the start with two in the #1 (closest to the muzzle) and #3 positions, then drill one in the #3 and finally #4 positions, that way regardless of the number you choose, the spacing will look well thought out. You can also choose to start with 5/32" holes and open them up to 3/16". Obviously chrono after each change, if you drill so many holes you have to go to a faster powder or heavier bullet, I think you're moving in the wrong direction.

If you want your pistol to shoot flatter here are my recommendations in order:

1. Switch to 115s

2. Switch to a slower powder like Vihtavuori 3N38

3. Start drilling holes (I recommend switching to jacketed bullets at the same time as I would expect coated bullets to clog the holes in short order). If you choose to drill holes I suggest you lay out four, the start with two in the #1 (closest to the muzzle) and #3 positions, then drill one in the #3 and finally #4 positions, that way regardless of the number you choose, the spacing will look well thought out. You can also choose to start with 5/32" holes and open them up to 3/16". Obviously chrono after each change, if you drill so many holes you have to go to a faster powder or heavier bullet, I think you're moving in the wrong direction.

thanks i will try the bullet and powder way before i start drilling holes.

You better give that comp a close inspection, I'm betting there is a lot of lead build up I tired about every coated bullet and they all Cacaed in my Comps.. Since you are going to change bullets be sure to give it the 50 yard test. I tried 115's and never did get them accurate at 50 yards, if you can't stay on an 8" plate not accurate enough. I know all your shots are under 5 yards, lol till you go to a big match! I prefer Silhouette for major 9, 7.3gr with 125gr MTG JHP, or a Zero JHP. Round nose work good and in general feed better. If you want to try poor mans slow powder 10gr of Accurate 7 w/125gr, the case won't hold enough powder to shoot 115. My gun likes it how or maybe I just like it hot 172-175 pf and it flatens out nicely.

The idea is to go faster, with that in mind start a fitness program, get in shape focus on your movement skills, and shoot lots of matches. There is no magic pixie dust or powder.

Right now my rule for holes is this. If a gun doesn't have popple holes then that means it needs them. Making major is still no problem and the gun just feels better in the hand. Only downside is the blast wave if that bothers you.

I went down the 115 route lately. Both with Autocomp and HS-6. In fact I have shot 115's over HS-6 all year and just tried a switch back to 124's last weekend. 115's may very well be flatter, but I settle the dot quicker with 124's. I can't tell it in practice but sense it immediately at a match under the timer. In practice I could only feel the impulse difference, had a hard time telling which was better on the dot.