Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1st DQ this past subday

Dirtchevy841

Dq Sunday. Pretty good at drawing out of my race master holster but on this stage had to run a ways to first array of targets. Only been using this holster in limited for couple of matches even though I've practiced quite a bit and am pretty good on a static draw. Most of the guys were drawing on the run halfway to the 1st array starting with their daa racemaster in locked position. Much more practice will be needed for me to try this again because when I went to draw halfway there I got past the lock lever went to grip my pistol and draw the gun when I didn't totally clear the block and my hand slipped off the grip and the next step I took gun was in the sand. This will take practice and probably won't see a running type stage like this for awhile. If one does come up I will either draw gun first off or leave locked sprint to array and then draw. With more practice in this type of draw I think I will be ok next time. When you get dq I tell you what you learn a valuable lesson.

My advice for stages where there is movement before the first target? Draw the gun at the first opportunity (assuming you're facing down range, do it on the beep). it's much better up in your hand than flopping around in your holster. get it out and up asap. Running with gun in hand is better than gun on hip. It also prevents things like having to lock the holster then forgetting the unlock on the later draw, prevents gun falling from holster while running and probably some other potential mishaps. it also means when you get to the first shooting area you can have the gun up and ready to shoot. :)

Bummer about the DQ but we play a game with strict safety rules and these things can happen. :)

Yep. I was thinking same thing would be best to draw first on beep. And yes safety is everything and I like that we are very safety conscious. But I gotta say honestly when I saw my pistol buried in the sand I said holy shit that's gonna be s serious tear down and cleaning going to happen now.

i'd start with holster unlocked, strong hand on gun after the beep before i started running and then finish the draw while running. bummer on dq, it happens and you know what not to do next time.

Drawing while running is no good, imo. What I've found is to ALWAYS get the gun out of the holster and firmly in your hand at the beep. You should be able to draw the gun at the beep before you even push off to start running. Now you can run hard. I find it safer and faster. Win win.

Basically I practice two draws. A standing draw and a draw where I'm loading up to start running.

Edited by theWacoKid

Just had a nice running start stage this weekend at area 1.

just pulling the gun and starting the movement at the same time seems logical. Toes on x's hands at sides, on the beep drive leg(right) shifts back as I step forward with left, hand goes to gun and draws, pistol is coming up ahead of the drive leg taking its first stride.

Pistol comes up high, about sternum level for the sprint.

I can't imagine sprinting even a few steps with the gun still in the holster. I can't even say I've ever even seen it done!

I guess if it's an IDPA/ 3gun thing, I have no experience there.