Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

N310 vs N320 grain size

RickT

Has anyone taken a close look at these two powders? Are the powder granules essentially the same size? It appears to me that N310 is slightly finer, but I'd like a second opinion. Yep, I've got a reason for asking but I'm taking it to my grave.

Mixed some up? Or not sure what's in the measure?

Load a round or two using N310 load data and see if you get what you expect.

You're getting "warm". My powder measure is dead on and I have good chrono data on N320 so I'll be chrono'ing the mystery rounds. Of course even loading below book N320 (which is what I'm doing), we're at least at the max for N310. Coated lead is pretty slick so pressures should be a bit lower than with FMJ.

Mixed some up? Or not sure what's in the measure?

Load a round or two using N310 load data and see if you get what you expect.

You're getting "warm". My powder measure is dead on and I have good chrono data on N320 so I'll be chrono'ing the mystery rounds. Of course even loading below book N320 (which is what I'm doing), we're at least at the max for N310. Coated lead is pretty slick so pressures should be a bit lower than with FMJ.

Lead also obturates better allowing less gas blow by and thus higher pressure than FMJ - one reason lead max loads are typically lower than FMJ.

Fortunately coated lead are typically pretty hard cast so probably somewhere in the middle. Good luck!

310 is indeed finer....

n310_n320-1110238.jpg

Thanks! I'm going to use the belt and suspenders approach - chrono and visual inspection of the powder load.

Rick

My experience with N310 & N320 is that N310 meters acceptably.... while N320 is quite erratic. The only thing I use N320 for is .38 Spl Steel Challenge loads (the iron sights don't move on the target under recoil... and there is no PF in SC)..... but I can still hear the "Crack", "Bang" .."Poof" difference when shooting.... although it doesn't affect recoil or POI.

The difference in pellet size between the two powders is very noticeable, especially when a N320 pellet gets caught on the edge of the drop tube and extra force is needed to drop the powder charge.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

GOF,

Could you please define the definition of "N320 is quite erratic"?

I was wondering the same thing. I've found N320 to be very consistent in my Hornady LNL AP powder measure.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

GOF,

Could you please define the definition of "N320 is quite erratic"?

I was wondering the same thing. I've found N320 to be very consistent in my Hornady LNL AP powder measure.

N320 (and 340 for that matter) always meter to 0.1 gr in my Dillon powder measure; for the last 15 years or so ;)

I have had very good experience metering N320 and have seen a considerable number of comments from others saying the same (despite that fact that it is an extruded powder).